Late october 9 pt

hawkeye625

I arrowed this guy on October 28th in the evening.  He came to my rattling out of a clear cut.  I was full draw on him for over 2 minutes as he walked behind a tree and stopped with his chest protected by the tree.  Had to let down and wait him out.  Finally gave me a broad side shot at 19 yards.  I thought the shot was dead on but something just didn't seem right, he ran off with his tail tucked tight and I never heard him crash.  Looked where I shot and didn't find the arrow and only found a little blood so backed out and called a buddy.  We waited 2 hours and went back to pick up the trail.  Very little blood and some stomach content so we went slow and agreed if we went 100 yards and didn't find him we would back off til morning.  Luckily we only went 50 yards and he was laying there where I last saw him.

Not sure if the arrow hit a branch or he lunged when I shot but the arrow entered just in front of the hind leg and came out by the 2nd rib  cutting the liver and caught a little lung but the arrow hung up by the fletches and didn't come out, leaving little blood on the ground.  1st deer I've shot with a rage that didn't pass through 100%.  Thank god we found him that night, the coyotes in my area wouldn't have left me much to eat.

post-143660-0-50831000-1415223377_thumb.png

post-143660-0-42863600-1415223397_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys.  We didn't weigh him, but let me tell you it took all the 2 of us had to get him out of the creek bottom to my quad (might just be aging hunters).  Thank the lord for the quad!  His neck was pretty much chest width the whole way out to his head, never shot one with that thick of a neck before.