New Field & Stream store

Is anybody else having issues with the Field & Stream store website?  I've tried over the last couple weeks to get on their website since i don't have time to get down there too often, but all i can see is the home page and that's it.

Thanks,
Sean

The people at the store say that they don't have one up yet.  You can go on line to fill out a customer survey and get a $10 coupon.  But that is about it.  Once you go on and see that their prices do not warrant your trip, maybe you won't go.  Right now people are flooding the store because of the great commercials and intrigue.  So far it it is pretty much like like a better Dicks.  I am guessing they will fall into the same routine that Gander did. 

Totally agree Fishy.  I also did the walk through. Not too terribly impressed.  One of my trips was to get a recoil pad for the upcoming deer season...nope didn't have them.  I have found that the extra time and gas to go to Hills Valleys and Streams is worth the trip.  They know what the locals want and need.  Can't beat their spoons for fishing the Finger Lakes.

Fishy is dead right.....and for a small business he has the right approach...and we do need to support that ...not the "Ganders of the world.... he stocks the stuff that fishermen actually use because he is a good fisherman himself. I highly recommend anyone to check out his store over near the Keuka State Park. He also has a good stock of Honey bee lures that are very hard to find these days and are deadly on browns.

When we came up to close up camp we made a few pit stops at the local mom & pop shops to get some " must have items" that unless you fish the northern lakes they look at you like your from mars. Slide divers, never heard of them? That's just one item. Unless you mail order Michigan stinger spoons, your local shops carry most if not all the colors, sometimes up to $.50 cheaper then the big box stores!!!! Another item is a good worm box for us crawler hauler guys. I start in Pulaski at Fat Nancy's and go from there, I can't remember them all but I know how to get there and that's the important part. Being a small business owner, I know every sale counts, so I support as many small fishing and hunting supply shop I can. On the way to the lake we pass by 2 Gander MT. Stores 2 Dicks Sporting goods and I ask, does anyone want to stop at the big box stores? Just keep driving I know where I want to go the boys tell me. Till next spring, stay warm and safe especially you ice fisherman. PAP.

I feel the same about Hills Valley and Streams.....I am seldom down that way but if so I will surely frequent it. Some of my friends have done business there and all good reports. These are the kind of businesses we need to support. The buyers for a lot of the big stores have probably never had a rod in their hand  (or at least not a fishing rod) :lol:

I feel the same about Hills Valley and Streams.....I am seldom down that way but if so I will surely frequent it. Some of my friends have done business there and all good reports. These are the kind of businesses we need to support. The buyers for a lot of the big stores have probably never had a rod in their hand (or at least not a fishing rod) :lol:

I sold to a lot of Dicks, Bass pro, Gander Mtn,and all the big stores. Their buyers are just like you would expect. Take them fishing, and to dinner and you have made a sale. $30 grand at a store is not out of the question.

If that answers your question.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I sold to a lot of Dicks, Bass pro, Gander Mtn,and all the big stores. Their buyers are just like you would expect. Take them fishing, and to dinner and you have made a sale. $30 grand at a store is not out of the question.

If that answers your question.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Being that you as manufacturer of the product, you like I get to see the "bigger" picture and the one on one sales. I myself like the individual sales more, get to hear how much the person is glad that I'm around, where else would he go to get something like this repaired (antique units) and the same goes for your product. You might have a lure that works well for him and he can't find it anywhere else. Yet we need the bigger guys for bulk sales to stay a float. I really like the "general public" because they take pride in your product and I like to talk to the people that use our product, they give me feed back on where we might be able to improve on something or might be able to help them out with a problem they have that a rebuilt item might not be the answer, problem may lie elsewhere. The same may go to you, folks that use you lures everyday might be able to help you improve on the product, where the bulk buyers you don't hear from till they need more which is always a good thing!!!!! I wish you many sales on your product as you have worked very hard to get to where you are. Best of luck. PAP.

I feel the same about Hills Valley and Streams.....I am seldom down that way but if so I will surely frequent it. Some of my friends have done business there and all good reports. These are the kind of businesses we need to support. The buyers for a lot of the big stores have probably never had a rod in their hand  (or at least not a fishing rod) :lol:

Love that place.  Unfortunate for my wife and our bank account they are only 15 minutes away.

Being that you as manufacturer of the product, you like I get to see the "bigger" picture and the one on one sales. I myself like the individual sales more, get to hear how much the person is glad that I'm around, where else would he go to get something like this repaired (antique units) and the same goes for your product. You might have a lure that works well for him and he can't find it anywhere else. Yet we need the bigger guys for bulk sales to stay a float. I really like the "general public" because they take pride in your product and I like to talk to the people that use our product, they give me feed back on where we might be able to improve on something or might be able to help them out with a problem they have that a rebuilt item might not be the answer, problem may lie elsewhere. The same may go to you, folks that use you lures everyday might be able to help you improve on the product, where the bulk buyers you don't hear from till they need more which is always a good thing!!!!! I wish you many sales on your product as you have worked very hard to get to where you are. Best of luck. PAP.

I couldn't agree more. I prefer the individual sales over  hobnobbing with someone who wants his butt wiped. One of the best parts about making lures was the frequent visitors to the shop, hanging out talking fishing. Some of our best ideas came from those types of visitors and the conversations we had with them.  In addition, we won't be selling to those stores at this time and probably never will. It was brought to my attention by a tax consultant that as long as I sell  to "end user's" I can avoid the excise and manufacturing tax. I have no desire to sell to the big box stores this time around. I may stock a few of the "local" stores, once we can produce enough product to support that, but at this time all of our sales come from word of mouth and post's on this site. 

I probably have only been to Dicks 3 times (because someone gave me a gift card from there) since they came to HHDS and have not yet been to Field and Streams. If I need to purchase something fishing related I go to Hills Valleys and Streams, since I'm in Elmira quite frequently. I purchased a vhf from Mike aka Iron Duke on this site, at HVS and had problems getting the wiring for the MMSI hooked up. I called Lowrance and Uniden and got nowhere. I called Mike and within an hr he had directed me to a website where I was able to get the info I needed, then it was easy and I had it working in no time. I bet Dicks nor Field and Stream would do that for me! 

Another thing I might add. I have been having trouble getting a decent price on Mustad's 9510xxxs hooks. Last night Fishy called me (after reading one of my post's) to offer a solution. Where can you get that kind of "customer service" anymore? Certainly not from Dick's or Field and streams. That's why folks like Fishy and HVS will always have reliable, repeat business. You just can't beat the "individual attention" those folks offer. 

Thanks PAP for the "well wishes". Much appreciated! 

Edited by Great Lakes Lure Maker

I hope that my post did not offend any of the small local business owners on here.  I will definitely check out the couple of shops that have been mentioned when i am in need of some gear.  I enjoy just walking around Dick's and Field & Stream more than i do actually purchasing something.  It's usually a time killer while my wife is doing her shopping at the mall :)

Sean you hit on a great topic and nobody is offended. I think it is important to discuss this type of thing as many of the folks who run these businesses are "our" folks and these big store chains have pushed out many small businesses narrowing considerably the variety of products available and basically doing away with the personal aspects of doing business. Most of the clerks in the bigger chains barely look at you (if at all) and if asked 30 seconds after you left for a description of you they wouldn't know whether you were male or female let alone anything else. Fishy and Mike (Hills valleys and Streams) and Jason (Great Lakes Lures) are very experienced  competent fishermen aside from their business relationship so there are important things to be gained from interacting (e.g. information, tips, suggestions) not just a matter of handing somebody a credit card or cash and walking away. This is the kind of thing that is vitally important in today's fast paced and highly impersonal environment. 

Edited by Sk8man

Jason- Your view is a common one. The major problem with it though is something called "reality". The reality is that the larger stores don't give a rats butt about you or the "product" or the product lines for that matter. All that is important to them is the bottom line of their profit margin ...they are basically like "hookers" they do whatever "sells" and that meets their target goal for profitability at that particular time.  If you look closely overtime they start out with a wide selection of potential items which draws people in then after a while they don't seem to carry the things that brought you there in the first place because those items didn't sell enough volume and that is what it is all about selling volume not particular items that people specifically come there for.  It is all about selling as much as they can of various items and if those items don't meet their "targets" for profitability they delete them regardless of whether specific "regular" customers desire them.  One somewhat exception to this that I am aware of is Wegman's for they will order stuff if you request the product but even in that case it will probably disappear if there isn't enough general demand. Dealing with small businesses you tend to have more input once you develop a relationship with the proprietor and they may even be amenable to "custom" ordering from their suppliers....they are much more "customer" oriented and that is a major reason for supporting them.

I hope that my post did not offend any of the small local business owners on here. I will definitely check out the couple of shops that have been mentioned when i am in need of some gear. I enjoy just walking around Dick's and Field & Stream more than i do actually purchasing something. It's usually a time killer while my wife is doing her shopping at the mall :)

Not offended here. I just know that the little guys work hard to keep what us locals really want and need in stock. We need to help keep them in business. I know we all think a buck is a buck but the insight and knowledge at the local shops is "priceless". I love how HVS has the "Finger Lakes" spoons made right in Elmira and they make new ones to match what is working. And you cant beat the fact theat when you walk in and Mike will walk you right over to the "hot" spoon and help you pick out what he was just hammering them on. Edited by Playing Hooky

I don't want to slam any place but I went to F&S last weekend & wasn't impressed.  Nice new store - definitely.  Nice animal mounts - Big moose, wolf, Bison etc.  Didn't see any clothes that didn't have their logo on it.   For lake fishing, I'm staying local.  Even JayVees has a lot more spaces for lake lures than they had.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

Whenever I fish out of Olcot, I make it a point to buy some stuff in the Slippery Sinker and on the way back to Rochester I hit Captains Cove and Narby's.All my trolling rods were bought in Oak Orchard and they all cost less than the big box stores would charge.

That's the great thing about The United States.....people can shop where they choose! As for clothing they have as much Under Armor and Columbia as Field and Stream. By the way I enjoy the small stores (HVS) as much as anybody but those that shop at F&S are not wrong for it.

• 2 weeks later...