okuma cold waters

i am looking to upgrade some of my reels next year and was wondering how the cold water series reels held up for you guys who used them this past season for salmon on the big o and how do they compare to the convectors.thanks in advance

I used them on my wires. I like the reels BUT the drags operate different than any other reel. If you back the star off, they don't loosen until the reel is cranked a couple times. I started uaing a pinchpad release on the wire next to the reel and I can leave the drag loose and the fish will pop the release if it needs too. otherwise I think they are nice and smooth and very comfortable.

I've never used any other Okuma trolling reels to compare them.

I love them.   I had all convectors previously, and tried a pair 2 seasons ago.   Liked them so much I added more last year

and plan on continuing to switch over to all cold waters this year.

The first few had issues with the clicker.   Sounded like it was double clicking.  Okuma had me check the lot number, and

ultimately replaced those 2.    We also had a couple that had line counter issues were it wouldn't advance, but again

Okuma took care of that with us.

They are smoother and not as loud as the convectors.   I also picked up two of the cold water series rigger rods for

2014, and really liked those too.

John

Tried out a couple Coldwaters last year while on my partner's boat and I am now going to add some to my lineup.

Mind you between myself and 4 other friends our combined 100 or so various sized Convectors have seen heavy use for tournaments & charters and have been flawless over the last 7 years.

I had the same issue as Broadhorizons on my CW-303.  The Coldwater drags are just plain weird, making it very hard to use them for wire dispies.  It is pretty much impossible to find that edge just before it starts creeping out. 

I bought a dragmasters updgrade from Tuna Toms which I will put in this winter and try next year.  We'll see...

Also, the reset on the line counter is now not working correctly.  It resets OK, but I have to manually pull the reset button back up or the counter will stay on 000 when you start feeding line out.  That's pretty annoying.

Bottom line, my opinion is that the Convectors are a better use of your $.  I have four Convectors in the 30 and 45 sizes and they have been flawless.  The Clarions are excellent too, but Okuma appararently stopped making those... 

JAM

I'm with Bazooka Joe on that one...fewer problems with the Daiwa's and they are very durable over time. I've had problems with an Okuma Convector right out of the box. The Magdas perform fine despite being a less expensive reel.

I've had 4 cold waters on my riggers for 2 yrs. I also have 4 convectors. Both very good, but I really like the cold waters, no problems whatsoever. The drag does have a little learning curve but once you get the hang of it they are very solid. Oh, I have some Diawas too but get really pissed when the line goes outside the spool. LOL

I've had 4 cold waters on my riggers for 2 yrs. I also have 4 convectors. Both very good, but I really like the cold waters, no problems whatsoever. The drag does have a little learning curve but once you get the hang of it they are very solid. Oh, I have some Diawas too but get really pissed when the line goes outside the spool. LOL

Interesting. I've been running my wire divers on Daiwa Sg47 LCA's for 15 years now and never once had that happen.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Interesting. I've been running my wire divers on Daiwa Sg47 LCA's for 15 years now and never once had that happen.

I ran 47 ADP's for 4 seasons and never had a problem either. The Okuma's are MUCH more comfortable and smoother though.

• 2 weeks later...

Ditto, that's the 1st time I ever heard of that problem.