waywack40

Hemlock-Canadice Motor Size Clarification

13 posts in this topic

Hemlock-Canadice requires a boat length 16Ft or less and a motor size 9.9HP or less. Can a boat with a mounted motor larger than 9.9 be used if the motor is up with the prop removed and is 16FT or less with a 9.9 Hp kicker engine?

Agree with zackblain.  The way it's stated in the NYSDEC Regs is: 'Boats are allowed, but a mechanically propelled vessel must be less than 17 feet in length, and operating motors must be 10 HP or less."

I would have this checked into further . I heard from a reliable source that outboards above 9.9hp are not allowed on a boat at all. Disabled or otherwise. Don't risk a ticket call the DEC office in Avon or stop in and ask.

The DEC has stated to me that all outboards on the boat have to be 9.9 or less.  The local DEC is not happy with this because when it was under the ownership of Rochester they did not care as much if you had a larger outboard with the prop removed.  The enforcement of this is coming from a directive from Albany not the local DEC people trying to be shmucks.  I have also seen some large boats launch at the North end of Hemlock and use the main motor to get to the south end and "pretend" they used their kicker to get there.  Some guy who works for the Rochester Water Authority may say otherwise, but the DEC is what to follow.

Interesting the boat length actually increased when the DEC took ownership of the lakes.  It is now stated confusingly as 17 feet or less.

This is from the DEC website for Canadice/Hemlock Lake:

Boats are allowed, but must be less than 17 feet in length, and any motors must be 10 h.p. or less. Do not transport or introduce any aquatic plants or animals into the water.

Boats may not exceed 17 feet in length and motors may not exceed 10 h.p. Do not transport or introduce any aquatic plants or animals into the water. See Hemlock-Canadice State Forest for further details.

tbulhead the guy on patrol for the city has I suspect caused some confusion?

I also have seen guys fudging with larger outboards.

Well be careful maybe they let it slide now and.again but I am sure if it becomes frequent a few tickets will be passed out.

Another change when the DEC took over is they cleaned up all the aluminum boats that surrounded the shore.  The city allowed it and the DEC forbid it.  During this transition I was informed by someone from the city water authority that they had walked around the lake and copied down all of the boats id numbers.  Apparently they started arresting people for stealing boats that did not belong to them and this also kept them from registering the boats with DMV.  The official who was telling me this then had to take off to nab two people in a canoe who went back into the weeds at Hemlock.  The official knew of a boat back there and thought they were going to steal it.

Over the decades I wonder how many boats were stolen?

Hemlock is actually patrolled by the State Forest Dept. I get checked several times per year for fishing license, life jacket, fire extinguisher. One day this summer I was launching at the north end when he was launching and he yelled from his boat " are you going to put a kicker on before you launch" and I said "this is my kicker". I have a 9.9 Honda with electric start, electric tilt, steering wheel etc. He jumped out of his boat and checked my motor out with a fine tooth comb.

Ok I can't seem to post a screenshot of an email I received from John Gibbs the regional forester for region 8 about having a larger motor on Hemlock. My question to him was can I use my 17' boat with a 70 hp motor if I take the prop off and use my 7.5hp. His response was that removing the prop was a wise choice being that anyone could easily see that I wasn't using the motor. That was back in the fall of 2011. I put a copy of that in the glovebox of my boat just in case I was ever questioned.

Chris

Edited by snyder

the same exact question was asked this year at the dec state of the lakes meeting for the western finger lakes. The officers present all agreed that as long as the big motor was completely immobilized that you will be legal.

the same exact question was asked this year at the dec state of the lakes meeting for the western finger lakes. The officers present all agreed that as long as the big motor was completely immobilized that you will be legal.

This ^^^

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United