One more hornets nest!

apb

Not that I hunt from the garden, but I pee there to keep the deer out. It doesn't work. You maybe OK if there are any tomatoes growing at your stand

Sent from my DROID4 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by lost a lure

Urine odor is extremely persistant.  I watched my neighbor's male dog 6 months ago.  My daughter let the dog lift it's leg on one of my bushes.......my shepard sniffed the exact spot this morning.  When working out in my buddies barn we piss out the back door.  This spring doing leaf clean up, the urine odor present when we started raking was horrible even after winter snows.  

Charles Alshiemer made mention at one of his seminars "after 15 minutes all urine smells the same". Has anyone else heard this?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have and it does seem to bother the deer until it is eventually washed away.  I usually try not too but when nature calls I'm not walking back to my car or out of my hunting area.

Edited by Chas0218

I can only go from what I observed. I have pissed out of my stand  and watched two different bucks come

along and smell the exact branches down below me where the pee landed.  The first buck that came along

I wanted but had buck fever and could not draw the bow. ( I had never shot a buck with bow before this was

20 years ago).  While kicking myself about  the buck a spike came along  exact same trail and sniffed exactly 

where the 8 pointer sniffed. I said to myself you gotta start somewhere and was able to draw the bow and

put an arrow through it. Since then I am happy to be able to piss out of stand.  

Years back in my hunter safety course, the instructor said he takes a hot water bottle to pee in.   On a cold day, he would tuck in in his jacket to help keep warm.   

As long as it doesn't leak, seems like a sound idea.   Never had to put it to the test however.....

You guys are going to think I'm crazy but a few years back my brother in law showed me a scrape behind his house that he had poured straight ammonia in. The scrape was all torn up. And that hot water bottle has a wide neck that, ah...never mind.

• 3 weeks later...

Bowhunter of 20+ years and have always used the bottle. If I can smell it the deer can also. I have heard the smell may quickly disperse but that window it don't your in the stand. Seems like a small step to take to help put the odds a little closer in your favor. Deer know what smells are natural to the woods and which ones are not. Of course my buddy lets it hit the ground and he gets his fair share of deer with the bow as well ...

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I guess it weirds me out to pay top dollar for fresh pee from a doe in heat, then not worry about my own pee...not that there's any chance of my being in heat  :rofl:

But I do wonder if the stuff you eat makes it through the system. Everybody knows that asparagus makes your pee stink. What else do we eat that deer don't that might alert them to something being off?

Our landowner had a dog that she used to walk around the property edge (90 acres) for years, no problem. Then the dog got old and started dribbling. That fall, we all saw numerous deer stop at the edge and do the alert look around thing they do when they smell something wrong, but just that one year. The dog passed away and everything went back to normal. Coincidence?

I pee in a Nalgene bottle and seal it up tight. Better safe than sorry.

Edited by Gator

For me the way I look at it is, why put so much effort into trying and harvest a mature deer and then just let it rip next to my stand???? Why give the deer any advantage at all? This game is hard enough! Pee in Gatorade bottles, big opening , lots of space, seals up nice and tight...........why wouldn't you?

Ever see the viral video of the small 4 point trying to mount a teenage girl? I'm thinking there is a reason. It seems to me that the scents of hormones is more pervasive to the deer than the scent of human. That said, 50% of the times that I've taken a dump in the woods.....I've had deer come by to check me out. I'm thinking it's a scent thing because my fat ___ is not as sexy as Ray's!

I let it fly..if the leaver are dry and noisy i pinch it of into a nice pace to resemble the steps of a deer,,if i see a bear i let it rip all at once to imatate a flash flood.when they climb my tree i hit em with the butt of my gun.......Guess i havent encountered the elusive "butt sniffin buck tho"..maybe they pass out downwind outa site......Carl thats the last time im gonna twerk on your boat... :mooning: