Personal Best!

idn713

Well boys, it all came together this morning.

After struggling mightly to figure out where to park myself opening morning, I finally decided to get in my nasty, thick stand is just surrounded by dense brush. This stand borders on the sanctuary for the does but is not quite there, more of a real safe way to travel when the deer need to get to the sanctuary.

Well the day started at 7:00 AM with a small four going right under my stand. I flipped him the bird (for getting me all excited), and then watched him prance off (probably to his death at the hands of a less discriminating shooter). Then all was silent until 8:00 when I heard a lot of deer coming my way. Well it was a parade of mature doe and yearlings, eleven to be exact, and they were headed right to the safety zone. After ten minutes they pass me and then start to spook. I know they didn't wind me, and then I see three more does headed out in front me doing a concerned trot. Now these three does spook the other eleven and they all move off together. Well now I have seen 15 deer and opening morning is getting pretty exciting. Then less then three minutes later, I hear a very slow steady crunch crunch crunch. Well I can't see the deer that well, but I do know that it's coming my way. As I keep peering in, I notice the sunlight gleaming off antlers and I lose total control of my arms. This buck is massive. He heads right for me and I have one thought, "holy mother of god". Well I pull my gun up and just put the scope out in my shooting lane and wait. Five minutes go by and he just browses into my clear as day lane, neat as neat, broadside at thirty freakin yards. Well I settle my arms, take a breath and lay the crosshairs of my savage muzzleloader right behind the shoulder. The shot is perfect and the deer drops in 10 yards. My euphoria was out of control, I just sat in my stand and smiled and laughed like a crazy person. As I walked up to the buck, I could not have been more jubilant. 8:20 AM on opening morning and I had shot my personal best buck and had the best morning hunt of my life. God, I love the outdoors.

Enjoy the pics!

post-145382-0-56841900-1416088802_thumb.jpg

post-145382-0-56638300-1416088829_thumb.jpg

post-145382-0-99261400-1416088862_thumb.jpg

post-145382-0-20303900-1416088932_thumb.jpg