Aluminum boat repair

Sluggo / NY

Any suggestions? I wore a spot thru the nose of my little boat from running it up the ramp on the river. It's not going to sink, but it's annoying. I cleaned it and roughed it up.. then tried JBWeld for aluminum but it won't stick. Any ideas out there? Thanks, Sluggo (Chris)

You must go get it welded. Anything less than a good thick weld will just wear through again.

Gluvit will stop leaks because it gets in between pieces  and is flexible ( Think silicone paint for aluminum) but it needs nice warm weather to properly adhere.

Welding puts stress on rivet boats but will add depth to the wear area. Pre heating the welded area may help. A boiler patch repair consisting of adding another piece of aluminum may work by riveting the patch to the boat with a sealing compound between the area to be patched. Welding in an overhead position is tough and the boat may need to be inverted for the process. TIG welding is preferred over MIG welding.

Edited by jimski2

I agree with Dave, have it welded and add a "skid plate". The xtra won't make a difference in weight and any good welder will do it easily. I myself have welded aluminum boats with Mig Welding and have had no problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a 1965 Starcraft Holiday 14' aluminum boat that was pretty dry for it's age.  Last year, we stayed at Wellesley Island State Park and instead of paying for a slip, we kept the boat dragged onto the shore.  After a week of doing this, about 16 rivets started leaking pretty bad.  Knowing about how many people have found that welding on an old hull like this actually heat stresses the other rivets and causes more trouble than it solved, I also was looking for an aluminum boat solution.  Stuff like caulk or JB really doesn't work.  I hit on some videos and articles about G-Flex from West Systems on the internet and decided that would be the best solution.  We followed the manufacturers instructions carefully and so far, I have to tell you, I have a bone dry boat again.  It sat in the water for 10 days this year (in a slip!) and took not a drop of water on.  Last year, it would have sunk to the bottom.

Your hull may be damaged in a different way, but I suggest you do a little search on Aluminum boat repair and find the article from West Systems called "Patch holes in aluminum boats with G/flex Epoxy."  I don't think we're allowed to post links on here, but find that article and give it a look.

Restoring old boats is a hobby of mine.  Has been for many years.  Aluminum boats have always been a PITA and I have shied away from doing them because once they start leaking through rivets, it's always been so hard to stop it.  We've tried the Alumaweld rods, TIG welding, JB Quick Weld, various surface preps with glass matt and resin.  They all fail!  So far, knock on aluminum, this stuff has not failed. 

At least give it a look.  It's the best solution I have found to date.  Hope this helps!

Good Luck, :yes:

Grady

Thanks for the ideas guys.. I ordered the g-flex repair kit from West Marine, but in the meantime I coated the inside with a 2 part epoxy. I'll apply the g-flex to the outside when I get it. I fished yesterday and it stayed dry. Good Fishing, Sluggo (Chris)