Downrigger Backing Plates

Patriot

cannon makes pre-drilled deck plates.i think they are made for between the rigger and gunwhale,but i dont see why you cant use them under the gunwhale,which is what i assume you are looking to do.amazon has them for 28 bucks and free shipping.

Yea Andy, I'm looking to mount a center rigger. The end riggers are Walkers, so all I need to do is drill & tap them. But there's nothing in center. Guess I'll need to check it out first. I can cut and tap aluminum plates, I just thought maybe somebody does this on a regular basis.

Thanks

That stuff won't break apart for sure :lol:  The stainless has also been "annealed"  which means that it has been "softened" so that it can be drilled without ruining your drill bit :) The annealing doesn't adversely affect the strength for this type of application and this is an excellent choice as would be aircraft grade aluminum if you can find/afford it.

Edited by Sk8man

My son drilled 16 holes through 4 plates using a 3/8" cobalt drill bit. You can actually harden the steel and make it more difficult to drill through if using a high speed while drilling. Slow is better with lots of oil and a big strong guy to put some arm on the drill. My gunnels are 11" wide so the 6x6 plates fit nicely under them.