walleye lakes in the Adirondacks?

tbulhead

The Adirondacks have tons of fishing adventures, but walleyes probably  don't top the list , however Sacandaga  would be my 1st choice in that area..Also has pretty fair Pike fishing,  sleeper there is the trout fishery After that if you really want a challenge You hit Lake Champlain, walleye are there but its a huge lake and trout, salmon & small mouth bass probably number 1 one fisherman's list there..Good luck in your pursuit..

• 2 weeks later...

I have fished much of the adirondacks by canoe, and few of the bigger lakes by boat, and Ive only run into them in franklin falls pond, union falls pond, and tupper lake.  I havent fished Great Sacanaga though. If you are looking to actually catch walleye, especially if you want to eat them, I would NOT go to the adirondacks.  If, on the other hand, you want to connect with nature and the wilderness that is left all while having the challenge of catching eyes Id recommend tupper if you wanna troll and franklin/union pond for jigging.  I can give you details for either.  Its a long haul but if you want wilderness and walleyes in the US id head to the Boundary Waters in Minnesota.  I have alot of info for that trip too!

• 2 weeks later...

I live on the great Sacandaga and have fished it all my life. You are right, it used to be an exceptional walleye lake 30 years ago but now it's marginal. Yes, if you catch 5 walleye if your lucky in one day 3 of them will be 15 " maybe one 17" and the last still under 20". There are big ones in the lake though most of which are caught thru the ice. Same for the northerns. Every winter I catch several 40" plus northerns thru the ice. I have been fishing Sacandaga lake near speculator for walleye. Been doing very well many are over 23" biggest was 29"

If its a walleye over 5lbs your after, I doubt the ADKS are the place to do that..Since you seems to cover western NY..How bout a river trip to Oswago in the spring..They get stopped by the dam..And quite a few 5 to 10 lb eyes caught there every year..during their spring spawning run, just a thought, then again you probably have heard that one already.

The reservoirs from Fine up through newton falls have lots of eyes. Not big, but have had some good days. 10-15 a day before noon for an hour drive is not bad for me. Slip bobbers and Lindy rigging is a nice change from trolling every now and then too

Pete.... do you mean the res's north of rt 3 between Star and Cranberry....including Chaumont pond? And along the Oswegatchie river?

We did 5 mile canoe trips on the Indian a few times always camping in the same spot... beautiful... A bunch of us kids were always casting rapalas or black 5 of diamonds and would end up with 3 or 5 eyes per weekend.... lots of fun as a scout seeing who would get the biggest per trip.... but that was 24 years ago

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I537 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...