Best Sit Ever

JakeyBaby

Yesterday was finally the day that I would be able to get my 5 year old son Landon in the deer woods. The wind was right and mom was out shopping all day, to the ground blind we go! He was smiling the whole car ride pointing out the window at the vehicles on the side of the roads saying " there another hunter". Once we got to our spot we oranged up, sprayed down and headed to the blind. His short legs made it a little tough to walk at times, tripping every once in awhile, but you could do nothing to wipe the smile off his face! Once we got in the blind he asked " well did you bring any food?" So I had to bust out the candy bag, bad idea as he couldn't sit still for the life of him! 20 mins into our sit the first of many "IM BORED" came out. I kept trying to tell him a little longer and I bet we will see deer just try and hang In there. That worked for about 2 minutes and he was about to loose it. So rather than making him never want to ever come back I said " Ok let's pack up". As soon as I looked back out In the corn there was 3 doe walking into the field! I told him "don't move", and his face lit up!! Once the deer finally settled I told him to put on his hearing protection and stand up real slow. Like a pro he was on his feet and said "awsome they are right there SHOOT ONE". I told I had to wait until she turned like they do on tv. As soon as she did I dropped the hammer on her. Smoke filled the blind and he yelled " you got her"!!! I was shaking like a leaf as I have been waiting for that moment since the day he was born! He high five and hugged 100 times before he almost knocked the blind over to get out so he could put his hands on her! We ran over to her and with his southern draw says " big doe down". He helped me drag her out and held her leg for the gut job even though "that is soooo disgusting"!!! By far the best hour In the woods of my 16 years of hunting! The smile on his face was absolutely priceless and one of the only real ones he has given for a camera In a long time. I Truly Hope We Get To Experience Moments Like This Forever! With another boy due at the end of December, I'm lucky enough to be able to do it one more time! !post-148213-14172653148841_thumb.jpgpost-148213-14172653296586_thumb.jpgpost-148213-14172653469929_thumb.jpg

That's awesome!! I've got three girls who all started at that age. Before you know it he will be knocking them down. I had my 11 year old in Illinois for deer this year, and all of them out in NY. I only spent one day in the woods without a kid in tote this season. Once again great job and you have him on the right path.

:yes:  One of the finer moments in life to really savor for the rest of it for both of you. That is the type of thing that bonds fathers and son for life.....cool!

Great job and I second Vince on the willingness to leave. So many make their kids endure long sits and ruins it for them. The smile on his face is absolutely priceless.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

OUTSTANDING!  I took my twin 3 yr olds out twice during bow season, yes separately. :P  one boy and one girl.  They both loved it, and have both asked to go multiple times during gun season.  I have not taken them out with a gun since they have yet to be around anything larger than a .22 and they aren't real big fans of loud noises so I plan on introducing that to them slowly. When I got a buck and a coyote they couldn't wait to both see it and touch it.  I had a blast with them in the blind and can't wait to do it more next year.  They are so into the outdoors so far that our family Christmas card ( at the suggestion of my wife! :yes: ) Has a picture of Daniel holding a 5lb lake trout he caught on July 4th, and a picture of myself holding Kyleigh on the way to the woods for her first hunt!

JB,

So many kids are addicted to electronic media and house cattishness that they don't value the world the Good Lord made for us.

Taking kids out to hunt, fish, camp,etc. exposes them to a piece of life that their peers will probably never see.

The things you are and will be doing with your kids will pay dividends going forward that will enrich their lives more than you can predict. The skill sets and confidence that come with knowing how to handle oneself in nature provides a solid platform from which to live life.

Congratulations,

Chas