Honeoye Creek area

BSmaster

Had to take my kid to Rochester (390) yesterday and just like always, counted about 1-2 dozen deer between the Avon and Rush exit.  Problem with it is like always they are on taking a dirt nap on the side of the road.  Other than this stretch, I think I only saw a couple for the rest of trip from Corning.  Does anyone know why this area seems to be a deer gauntlet?

I drive that stretch often during hunting and fishing season and I've noticed the same thing. I think it has a lot to do with it's mostly ag fields with very few big chunks of woods, mostly small wood lots. So I assume the deer are on the move between woods lots on either side of the road all sharing small woods with a big population.Once there is snow on the ground you can really see how thin the woods are.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

From DEC 2014 deer harvest forecast.

WMU 8H

Area = 574 mile2

BTO = 2.8 bucks harvested per mile2

2013 Buck Take = 4.9 bucks harvested per mile2

2013 Total Deer Take = 14.1 deer harvested per mile2

WMU 8H includes parts of Livingston, Monroe, and Ontario Counties and has limited public land accessible for hunting. This is another typical Lake Plains unit; in other words, an ideal mix of habitat with big healthy deer and a productive population that has resisted our efforts at herd reduction. The buck harvest in 8H rose to a new high last year of 4.9 per square mile, and has now risen four straight years. The current population (as indexed by the buck harvest) is almost twice the target level of 2.8 bucks per square mile. We can add this to the list of our northern units in need of alternative antlerless harvest strategies. As in most of the area north of the Finger Lakes, 8H has super deer habitat, with lots of agriculture, and deer reproduction is excellent. A record number of DMPs will be available, but for two years now we’ve have more permits available than hunters who want them. So we’ve lost some control over this population and will need new tools to increase antlerless harvest. Hunting will be excellent in 8H this fall, with chances of selection high on first and second permits for all categories of applicants.

That is nice and all but what they are not saying is that most of the land in 8H is private and the landowners don't allow hunting. It goes to reason that the deer population is exploding. The landowners complain about their crops being devastated by deer over grazing, yet don't allow hunting. Something has to give.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That is nice and all but what they are not saying is that most of the land in 8H is private and the landowners don't allow hunting. It goes to reason that the deer population is exploding. The landowners complain about their crops being devastated by deer over grazing, yet don't allow hunting. Something has to give.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T217A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

That's BS,I hunt that area though it may be private trust me there is a guy behind every other tree.

Edited by dvdegeorge

That may be for the small area that you hunt, but keep in mind that 8H is 574 miles, for the most part unless you are family or know someone that is family, you can not gain access. I think the DEC needs to re evaluate the Nuisance tag system and stop issuing them unless you are willing to allow hunters access to your property to help control the deer herd.  

Obviously not hard enough if the herd is that out of wack. Actually I do have access and see my share of deer, in fact I have seen more bucks this year than in the past three. I have also noticed a significant decline in the number of hunters in the area that I hunt. There is a lot of property around that is not hunted because the owners do not allow hunting or even access unarmed to go in to move the deer.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Again you seem to be talking about a very small area of this DMU. You seem to be limiting your knowledge to this small area, 8H does not only encompass 390 as you suggest. Maybe if you got down out of your tree and actually drove around the other 550 miles of this DMU you would have a better perspective of what is going on. Obviously I will not convince someone of your (in your mind) expertise, but to the people that actually hunt the rest of the area and even into 8G we know the truth. To all have a great weekend and enjoy the end of the season hunt. Be safe.

Looking in from outside of the issue (I no longer hunt but still have an interest in it) it looks as though BSMaster's  original well intentioned question is turning into a "pissing contest" between two knowledgeable and capable hunters hunting the same largely private area where most others have little to no access. Wouldn't it be more beneficial or productive to both of you to maybe meet for coffee someplace and try to improve each others info and insight regarding that specific area so that you both could benefit from it? Just a thought....

Edited by Sk8man

I didn't do an assessment on the browse line so I have no idea whether or not the deer herd in that area of 8H is in fact out of whack.  I got the assessment off the NYSDEC page and made an observation which I have been making for decades and wondered why that many deer seem to get hit on 390 in that section of highway while other sections with a healthy deer population do not seem to get as many hit with maybe Dansville-Groveland a 2nd place noteworthy.

It is generally a farming area but that shouldn't make any difference.  If the overall attitude is such that only antlered deer be taken then that would make more sense to me.  After all, I am not seeing large healthy bucks on the side of the road.  They appear to be does.

As far as hunting pressure is concerned.  Pockets of high pressure can affect the movement of deer throughout larger areas of lower pressure.  Most of this is due to scent deer use to communicate with.  Any more speculation from me on this matter will be total BS instead of partial BS.  Until I do a walk thru the properties or drive along the side roads (at the very least) I can not  comment on herd health.

I think both men commenting above are accurate but only for a small fraction of the total area.  I get in passionate discussions with knowledgeable hunters all the time and I believe them even though I don't believe it pertains to my situation.  I honestly didn't mean to stir the pot.  Make friends with each other and some landowners.  Get some hunting priveledges.

I know that right after the Rush exit traveling south bound gets hunted very hard during gun and if it's brown it's down

I don't even bother to gun hunt there and that's where I killed my archery buck and saw at least 3 other big shooter buck

As a matter of fact a few year back a deer got pushed right onto 390 and a Ford Focus was totaled

Also that spot seems to be a week ahead of every place else for rutting activity

The dead deer sighted may be a result of 2nd rut

Any ways just a discussion, that's how we get info and learn from one another

The 390 area is just south of Rochester and  southern suburbs. The suburbs have a protected huge deer population.The throughway does not really stop them from moving. Add to that Mendon ponds and some other parks where there is a deer behind every second tree, you will understand that in such an overpopulated (deer) area there is a natural move outward in this case southward.