Downrigger rods

RD9

Any suggestion on downrigger rods. I have used the cabelas brand for the past few years and am lless then thrilled. I have two Great Lakes system rods I really like 8fters but they are getting warped from heavy use year after year. Buying some new rods this year and just looking for opinions.

I use the Okuma classic pro glt in the 8'-6". They run double duty on my boat as in line planer and downrigger rods. Fishusa.com has them cheap.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I like the 8' Heartlands for my riggers also Rick. I wish the 8'6" wire roller rods didn't have the price tag they do though. I really like the one I have but honestly can't justify spending what they ask for those rods to buy a matching one.

The okumas are $27.95 at fishusa right now.  I bought 2 more for my x-mas present to myself.  I think I have around 8 or 10 including the 2 I just bought.  The other rods are a couple old penn fathoms, and 8 of the depthmaster 8'-6" downrigger rods for walleye.  I am slowly replacing the depthmasters with the Okumas.

My dipsys rods are the 9' okumas with twilli tips. If I had to do it again I would get the 10'6" rod.  It is a lot easier with a longer rod getting the flahser/fly outside the downriggers although the longer rod is a little more awkward.

Edited by Chas0218

It's difficult to make a recommendation for the original poster because he doesn't say what he doesn't like about the rods he has. Are they too stiff, soft, no feel, unbalanced, too long, too short? Is quality of the build poor, or maybe fit and finish? Are components failing? Reel seat not holding the reel tight? Length of grips wrong - are you reaching out too far or are your hands too close next to your chest?

Asking people for recommendations about what they like doesn't assure that you will like them for the same reasons they do. As a rodbuilder, I can make some recommendations based upon rods meeting a minimum build quality standard that have a proven history of holding up well over time (I know this because I frequently see rods in need of repair and some rods recommended above are certainly repeat offenders), and I can match it up with anecdotal feedback i've heard as people describe what aspects of factory rods they like and don't like.

Having said that, from a componentry quality and build construction standpoint, you get a lot of value from Ugly Stick big water trolling rods, particularly the 7' and 8'3 models. They're practically bulletproof. I know some people that have more than 20 years service on them. Their front grips are a bit small in diameter for some people compared to other rods, so that might be a problem if you have a large frame or xl hands, but most people find the grip lengths comfortable and well placed. 

If you have the cash for an upgrade, the mid to higher lines of moderate action composite rods (not all graphite) from Lamaglas and St. Croix salmon/steelhead rods are really nice and both companies have a long track record of honoring warranties that are really insurance policies, not just warranties. By insurance policies I mean they generally will replace a rod that you broke that is not actually covered under a materials and defects type warranty.

In the past, I used to include a few more mfg and rods in my factory recommended rods, but either their components or build quality has slipped, or they weakened their warranties/insurance policies as they try to lower prices to remain competitive in a market segment of the fishing industry that is considered saturated and in decline.

If you don't mind replacing rods every few years, you could certainly choose just about any rod at any price that met your personal standards. If you want something for the long haul, the entry point is an Ugly Stik.

For the purpose of being forthcoming, I have no interest or connection to Shakespeare, Lamiglas, or St. Croix other than I sometimes use one particular lamiglas blank, no longer in production, to build inside magnum wire diver rods.

Edited by John E Powell

I can say that the Taloras and TDR's have both served me well. My Taloras have over 800 days on them. I use the medium 8' ones. Taloras are graphite, TDR's are fiberglass, they have different feels to them. The TDR's are good to, but they are not Talora quality. I use TDR's for my coppers, as they are great fiberglass work horses.

All that said my next downrigger rods will be custom "Short sticks" from Ernie Langtine.

I agree with John! The ugly stik's are a great rod! What I like about the 8' 3" rod is the light action and versatility. I run them off big boards for browns in the early spring. Then run lead core (and short coppers) as the fish slide out deeper. And they fight kings off the down riggers. Personally I like light action rods. I like the feel and forgiveness.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

Another vote for the ugly sticks.  I've been running the 9' and 8'3 1101's for a few years and am switching over to the 7's.  Fished with some other guys this spring and really liked how easy their 7's were to rig.  Also double as copper and lead core rods.  They also handle big fish well for a light action rod.