Cornell Plantation

maisie

I saw in this mornings DemocratandChronicle about how deer hunters can enroll in Cornell Program.  I see that the number of hunters had decreased from the year before and that when looking at the take it wasn't very large.  I was wondering if any of our members had any information on this program, and if they would be willing to share

Good read Bigfoot. 

[INSENSITIVE RANT!]

I hadn't heard this before.  Too many libs in Tompkins county.  Doesn't surprise me now that I think about it.  I read a story a few years back that a liberal town on the Hudson ( I think it was Saugherties) had a significant deer management issue.  Rather than shoot them they opted to trap them, sterilize them and release them at a significant cost to the taxpayer.  I fish the the Cayuga tribs and I always see a lot of deer sign but just assume that it is normal for the fringes of a small city.  Anyone who drives 13 at night in the fall knows to go slow. Their attitudes will change up there once pot is legal and the deer start eating their pipe dope out the garden.  You can call it profiling but you see berks with wool socks and bicycle trains as you enter Ithaca.  I would be scared to be up their alone with intentions of hunting and have the PC police after me for killing one of the cuter animals in the kingdom.  Good luck to those of you who endure.

[RANT OVER]

The map said no firearms in Cayuga Heights, Ithaca (City), or Lansing.  Lansing is pretty rural.  Makes me wonder... why?

I tend to agree with all of your rant BSmaster.  I am especially  NOT fond of gangs of bicyclists on the road them with their goofy outfits.  I kinda figured that this was the case as it it so close to a college town.  I guess i am willing to just let the deer eat them out of house and home.  I wonder what happens to a deer that eats pot?  

I tend to agree with all of your rant BSmaster.  I am especially  NOT fond of gangs of bicyclists on the road them with their goofy outfits.  I kinda figured that this was the case as it it so close to a college town.  I guess i am willing to just let the deer eat them out of house and home.  I wonder what happens to a deer that eats pot?  

It gets the munchies :lol: 

Firearms hunting is allowed in that portion of Lansing within the focus area, not allowed in the Village of Lansing.

Cayuga Heights has spent a lot of money trapping and sterilizing deer, a big waste (IMHO) of money. Deer control is mostly achieved by automobile.

Cornell tried sterilization and gave up on it. They obtained nuisance permits last Winter and quietly took out something like 48 deer via bow hunting while students were away. (Many shot at night with spot lights).The students were really upset when they found out and the University administration reportedly received over 10,000 complaints.

To my knowledge, Ithaca has done nothing to address it's deer problem.

My observation is that killing as many deer as possible around the problem area does nothing to alleviate the problem, it just makes the hunting suck in the surrounding area.

Rochester had the same problem in Irondequoit a few decades ago.  Remember how that went?  Sharp shooters and less landfill space.  They tested the bone marrow to find the deer were sick and malnurished.  I think all the potential meat went in the ground.

Farm raised venison costs quite a bit.  It seems like a waste to let it rot on the side of the road or thrown into a landfill. 

Thanks Bigfoot, so now the truth comes out.  They should just continue killing deer the hard way. with their cars.

True.  Drive slow on 13 especially on a fall night..

• 1 month later...

Slow rollin, Cayuga Heights deer season is only open to residents that live there, You have to have permission from the neibors around you to hunt, From what i heard they just passed you'd have to be 250" from a dwelling. I work for the Village, I can't even hunt there, Tried.

Problem is that all those deer are destroying habitat and creating a perfect situation for an uncontrollable pandemic due to massive overpopulation.

How about a dose of chronic wasting disease or huge outbreak of Lyme disease in the affected areas or rampant toxoplasmosis resulting from uncontrolled feral cat populations infecting the confined herd?

Once natural balance gets out of whack, bad things can happen on a large scale.

It is my progressive liberal left wing opinion that venison tastes sort of dry and gamy. I prefer mine mixed in with pork.

Maybe if we protect the coyotes,they will take care of the deer problem and when the deer are down to pre human hunting population the coyote will starve and stop reproducing. Next thing you know is a balanced deer/coyote relationship.

But, you will no longer see nice young lady students skinny dipping on the lake beach because they are afraid of coyotes, so maybe we should trap and sterilize the coyotes.

Come to think of it, I would hate to see good pot eaten by deer or any other ruminant for that matter.

I can see it now. Our local organic dairy will from now on sell strictly organic happy milk products that make you feel good.

Well maybe it did happen already in the greater Ithica area. I mean the pioneers who settled the area were sadly misguided or just plain lost. They thought they were in Greece or Italy and gave their settlements names like Venice,Naples ,Scipio Center.The ones that started Syracuse were really lost. I mean they tought that the dutch were still ruling the area and made orange their favorite color! It must be that those wicked Dutchmen did not want them in Batavia. Well there were some god honest red necks who named their place Horse Heads but they too must have smoked something funny in their peace pipes.

But seriously, around Cornell and Ithica college it is way smarter to go dear hunting and the best way to do that is by leaving the deer alone

Edited by rolmops

Coyotes are there, Only thing they're eating are the cats and small dogs, See posters all over, Missing cat, Missing poodle. Coyote would probably die if they a deer from there, Shot up with to many drugs. What coyote would eat something with a neck collar n ear tags.

It is my progressive liberal left wing opinion that venison tastes sort of dry and gamy. I prefer mine mixed in with pork.

Maybe if we protect the coyotes,they will take care of the deer problem and when the deer are down to pre human hunting population the coyote will starve and stop reproducing. Next thing you know is a balanced deer/coyote relationship.

But, you will no longer see nice young lady students skinny dipping on the lake beach because they are afraid of coyotes, so maybe we should trap and sterilize the coyotes.

Come to think of it, I would hate to see good pot eaten by deer or any other ruminant for that matter.

I can see it now. Our local organic dairy will from now on sell strictly organic happy milk products that make you feel good.

Well maybe it did happen already in the greater Ithica area. I mean the pioneers who settled the area were sadly misguided or just plain lost. They thought they were in Greece or Italy and gave their settlements names like Venice,Naples ,Scipio Center.The ones that started Syracuse were really lost. I mean they tought that the dutch were still ruling the area and made orange their favorite color! It must be that those wicked Dutchmen did not want them in Batavia. Well there were some god honest red necks who named their place Horse Heads but they too must have smoked something funny in their peace pipes.

But seriously, around Cornell and Ithica college it is way smarter to go dear hunting and the best way to do that is by leaving the deer alone

Rol,

Not sure what you're rolling bud, your thoughts on the deer problem in Ithaca are entertaining. You say seriously to leave them alone well its the same problem in most every small expanding city. Over population, now I would agree that it may be people over populating, but the sad fact is that there are too many car/ deer accidents and we should find a balance with local willing bow hunters to try to reduce the deer population to a balanced level. I have a client that lives in Cayuga heights that has a $40,000 deer fence. One day I witnessed a doe crawl under this fence in a small drainage, she squeezed under less than 4", amazing! Point being these deer are hungry, the little browse they have is gone by this time of year. It is out of a natural balance and it needs to be restored. I hate to see the deer suffer and I hate to see how many deer are killed by vehicles. The insurance companies should be sponsoring the hunters and trying to build a link to the home owners in this area. Just a thought, and yotes yea wait til they get brave enough or hungry enough to grab a tottler.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have no doubt that there is a problem, be it deer or human over population. And yes,we must try to solve it.

My whacky comment was mostly a reaction to all the other rash opinions in this thread.

Blame it on cabin fever.

Edited by rolmops

Yeah and I wish someone who speaks "Deerese" could speak to the ones that decimated my holly bushes underneath my front bay window (while peering in it) last couple  nights :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

Copy that, I liked your sense of humor. Just driving around yesterday there were three dead deer on the roads surrounding Ithaca, costs the county $75 per deer to dispose. That adds up for the tax payer, let alone the insurance companies raising our rates...

Copy that, I liked your sense of humor. Just driving around yesterday there were three dead deer on the roads surrounding Ithaca, costs the county $75 per deer to dispose. That adds up for the tax payer, let alone the insurance companies raising our rates...

Probably 2 out of those 3 end up in the back of a pickup and are turned into dogfood or sloppy joe,depending on the condition the carcass is in

Probably 2 out of those 3 end up in the back of a pickup and are turned into dogfood or sloppy joe,depending on the condition the carcass is in

Maybe 1 out of ten, once the call goes out dispatch calls for the pickup too...