Im not trying to be a idiot here. But would most of you say this is the most important tool on the boat? Iv been fishing for years with out one and not had much trouble catching fish. I might not catch 20-25 aday . What should I be looking for with this thing. Is it worth the $700 bucks? Dont get me wrong i understand the basics of this thing. Thanks

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

we used to think it was the be-all end all.  Still have one and run it once in a while.   Once we figured out how to catch kings in 70 degree water and read our speed watching our wire divers, we stopped relying upon it.

Nice to know information, not need to know unless maybe you are tournament fishing and need to keep up with a moving pocket of down water that is holding fish you are fishing for.

It is a very useful tool once the thermocline sets up and through the summer into early Fall but it is only one tool in the box. Sometimes fish operate outside their temp ranges and folks can get stuck in gear fishing desired temp ranges and over reliance on temp meters.  It is useful but not necessary in my view.  I think learning to use your depth finder competently combined with knowledge gained from repeated experience and learning to watch the angle of your lines and your boat speed offer much better data than any ONE item of electronics. By the way look carefully if you decide to buy a Fish Hawk because you can get them cheaper than $700. I will say that the company is second to none and Trevor Sumption stands behind his products....great folks with a great product.                                                                                                                                

Fished with John O. and he and my partner had a talk about using a Sub Troll on the big water. John O. swears by his as even if you think you know the temp where you're fishing what about the currents? You could be runing at 2.5 and your spoon or bait rig at .8.Just some food for thought.

Thanks guys this is all great help. Fished with a guy that had one he had just got it so he was still learning. I fish out of olcott and goldenhill and wilson . So with the the fish hawk just dropped it down had north and look for temp? How deep do you start?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Lake Ontario United mobile app