ProAm Question

A couple of friends and I were considering entering in the Open division this year.   We heard several things.  The open division is for the weekend anglers and guys that don't get out to much but we also heard that there have been charter captains in the Open division.  If a guy is a charter captain or using a charter boat, shouldn't he at least be in the amateur or professional division and not the open division?  I don't know, just my opinion.

Since this is an ice fishing tournament, those who are ice fishing guides or are sponsored by ice fishing related companies are the only ones (and those who have placed 1st in the Open Division in previous years) that are required to enter the Pro-Am Team Division. All others can enter the Open Division, including open water charter captains. Ice fishing requires a whole different set of skills from the open water. 

Since this is an ice fishing tournament, those who are ice fishing guides or are sponsored by ice fishing related companies are the only ones (and those who have placed 1st in the Open Division in previous years) that are required to enter the Pro-Am Team Division. All others can enter the Open Division, including open water charter captains. Ice fishing requires a whole different set of skills from the open water. 

I don't think he is talking about the ice fishing Pro Am. 

zoooooooooommmmm ...hey man, something just flew overhead......

Yes Open is Open to all....back when it first started   . It was a no brainer to entice new guys to get their feet wet in the Pro /Am ,experiance...then a couple guys droped from playing with the big boys to the open.. yes it was like a NFL vs High school ......

I would Suggest You Get yer team togeather and do as your heart desires,,It is fun and Exciting to be part of the Pro/Am.experiance..

You will meet some great fishermen,the folks behind the curtian putting on these events,and who knows if the right fish bumps into yer hook ya might take home a few dollars to boot...good luck..To Your Team...

We weren't talking of ice fishing, we were thinking about summer fishing in a Proam tourney.  We were going to fish in a 19 footer for a couple of days.  I know $270.00 isn't a lot but what kind of chance do a couple of guys with three years experience have against a charter captain with a big fully rigged charter boat and twenty years experience.  I hope someone from the tournament committee would chime in.  How do you pit a charter captain and crew with years of experience and the best equipment in the open division with new guys starting out? 

Edited by Fbodine

I don't think you are going to see a big time charter capt. Fishing in the Open division.

Big time or not.......you want to be a big boy, and take money from people to take them fishing, play with the big boys. Leave the open division for the grass roots. I know one guy who jackpotted them for a few years and thought he was so cool winning them. 

He says CLEARLY using a CHARTER BOAT! 

Big time or not.......you want to be a big boy, and take money from people to take them fishing, play with the big boys. Leave the open division for the grass roots. I know one guy who jackpotted them for a few years and thought he was so cool winning them.

Yup basically what I said......

The point of the "open division" is to provide a stepping stone to the bigger event for everyone. and i mean everyone... New guys, weekend warriors, Amateurs, Pros, charter captains. Its not the charter captains you have to worry about but the tournament fisherman that have experience in the format that you have to worry about. 

Sure you didn't know......lmao

Do any of the ProAm tournaments offer a calcutta for biggest fish by species? 

Some do some don't. If that's what you're looking for the LOC derby's are catered towards 1 big fish. Pro/Ams and other tourneys are more geared towards catching numbers/limits.

A couple of friends and I were considering entering in the Open division this year.   We heard several things.  The open division is for the weekend anglers and guys that don't get out to much but we also heard that there have been charter captains in the Open division.  If a guy is a charter captain or using a charter boat, shouldn't he at least be in the amateur or professional division and not the open division?  I don't know, just my opinion.

Agree 100%.  Not sure why a charter would enter this division.  For a few more bucks you could enter the short box and stand to win more money.  I think you can enter the short box with only 1 other person and an observer.  Only reason I can think of is if you could only fish one day of the event.

Just go for it and enter an event.  It is a lot of fun and you meet a lot of great people.  It only takes 3 good fish to win or place and the rec division gives you flexibility.  Its also fun to keep track of your catch and measure that against the rest of the fleet in the other divisions....you might be surprised at how you would've placed!

Another option is to join LOTSA and fish that event.  Its inexpensive and a lot of fun.

well this statement couldn't be more far from the truth. open class is only 3 fish and can be fished from any port as long as your into the weigh in line on time.  or was when I was fishing them! and I'm probable the captain he's saying I thought I was cool or jackpotted, Not true! Fact is I had a really old boat with single engine and was saving for 3 years for new boat so I was tight with money and eye's on the bigger picture and at the end of the day we pretty much broke even and won a little product. and covered expense and learned a few things along the way.so with that said back on topic I would suggest if its your first go at it pre fish the day before and  try and put a plan together for tournament day. 3 fish and cheap to try out.

Just go for it. You never know when it could be your day. When its 3 fish anyone can win charter captain or not. Plus if you look back at any standings you will see that there is always a different team winning even the best teams don't win with any reliable constancy(unless its the Sandy creek shootout and your name is trout and about).  It just all comes down to whether or not your team makes the right calls in regards to location depth and lure selection and you never know when you may get it right.  Better to give it a try learn something and maybe not win then not get in and have a great day be kicking yourself for not getting in.