Scope for shotgun - suggestions ?

bout time

Wondering what everyone uses on their shotguns? Looking to upgrade from 2.5 x 20 next season. Was looking at Bushnell Trophy 3-9 x 40 - overkill? Hunt mostly hardwoods with longest shot being 100 yards ÷/-. Suggestions ?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Leupold Heavy cross hair 1.5 to 4..yes! Especially if you shoot 3 in. Mag.

I had a Bushnell loose the cross hair on a New England Ultra Slug 3 inch.

I know...overkill...more $ for the scope than the gun, but can't hit a thing without good glass...I don't care if the gun is 5 grand, cheap glass makes a great firearm cheap..

Cent frum my notso smart fone

Edited by skipper19

Nikon pro staff 3-9x40 is what I use

X2

I have a Nikon buckmasters, Burris fullfield, and a prostaff. The prostaff is my favorite ! Allthough I did see the buckmasters on sale at cabelas right now for $150 ! thats a darn good deal...  Some others might want to check that deal out too...

Wondering what everyone uses on their shotguns? Looking to upgrade from 2.5 x 20 next season. Was looking at Bushnell Trophy 3-9 x 40 - overkill? Hunt mostly hardwoods with longest shot being 100 yards ÷/-. Suggestions ?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Get something with a big objective to have as much light transition as possible.  Anything around 40 is great. If you can get something around a 2.5-7 that would be ideal.  All my guns with scopes are Nikon or Bushnell.  The Nikon glass is made right here in the USA at the Corning NY plant. 

Edited by Chas0218

I like  1 x 4 Mag. for shot guns . Most shots are within a 100 yards. Keep it set at low power for better field of view and quick pick up. If the game is further away you have time to turn up the mag.  By a Shot Gun scope model only. The best one you can aford.

Happy Hunting

Shoot Strait.

Len

All three are great scopes are good for a shotgun - and I own all three makes - but I prefer the Leupold VX-1 for my shotguns in 3-9x40mm as I think it is the best at low light.

Here's a few things to consider:

1.) Shotgun/muzzleloader scopes are not marketed to be "more rugged" or more "shock resistant" to mount on a shotgun. They are labeled as shotgun/muzzy scopes b/c they have paralax adjustments built into the scope for closer range shots typically within 100yds (which is the typical range for a shotgun). The scopes for shotguns also typically have more eye relief.

2.) Contrary to popular belief, the objective lens diameter, i.e 33, 20, 40mm doesn't really have much to do with field of view, but more to do with how well the scope will function at low light. A 40mm will look brighter (called exit pupil) than a 20mm lens but both will have similar field of views at similar magnifications.

3.) Also, pay attention to what reticle you prefer. My newer Leupold shotgun scopes in 3-9x40mm have the thicker crosshair reticle which I also like. My Nikon has a BDC reticle which i do not like for shotgun hunting. This is personal preference, but I prefer crosshairs for deer hunting.

Any of the three makers mentioned above are great, but for my money i think the Nikon or Leupold are brighter and function better at low light.

Good luck,

Chris

Edited by momay4000

Im a bushnell guy and use their Tactical scopes on my rifles, but a grand is alot for a shotgun.  I like the Bushnell elites for muzzleloader/shotgun use, something in the $300 range.   I stick with objectives lens 40 mm or bigger and went away from 1 inch tubes found on almost all scopes and have opted for 30 mm tubes found on better scopes along with a side parallax adjustment.  As said above the best guns arent even average with cheap glass.   As for Nikon and Leupold, both are excellent but if you compare like models there isnt any difference....upper end scopes will always do the job and you will never have a problem....conversely cheap scopes suck and I dont care which brand you look at.  Another thing to look at is mounts and rings....dont try to save money there either!  Id rather see a cheap gun setup with top shelf bases, rings, and scopes than a beautiful gun with low end glass!   

• 2 weeks later...