List of ice fishing tidbits/tips for newbies?

Sk8man

Hi guys, I don't fish for lakers but I get down 30-40fow for perch and I use braid but I'm in my shanty with the heater on so when it gets above freezing in side the shanty a 1/8oz gig works well getting down to the bottom.Those 1oz laker jigs will hit bottom in a heart beat.I'm useing power Pro. 10# test on my jiging rods with flroCorbon leaders. And you guys out there sitting on buckets.God Bless You, I can;t take that cold anymore, my hand freeze to fast. Good catching and be safe.

I'm no expert at jigging lakers... I'm still learning things everytime I go out to harass them.  :)

I generally jig either Candaice  (90 FOW)  and Keuka (180 FOW) both open water from kayak or on the ice.

For my ice fishing rigs, I'm running 12 lb Fireline, with a 5-10 ft. fluoro leader attached.  The leader is attached with with either a uni or albright knot; I have a snap swivel on the end to attach the jigs / spoon. - some people suggest a swivel to attach the leaders,but I like the knot better.  Running a longer leader like that is nice because I know when the fish is close to the ice when the knot comes through the last eyelet on the rod.  It will also feed through the line guide on the reel, so you're not stuck hand-lining in the last few feet of line to bring the fish onto the ice.

I use 1 oz or 1.5 oz jigs and spoons, and in 180 FOW you can feel the jig tap bottom with no issue, any strike is the same thing... I can actually hold the rod perfectly still and watch the tip  twitch when they hit it; no stretch at all in the line.

Yesterday the kids were in the heated shanty, and I was on the open ice for a couple of hours, and I didn't have issues with icing running a low profile baitcaster. There was a little bit ice being scrapped off the line by the line guide, but nothing was freezing up, or preventing the jig from free falling.

I also have a few reels set-up with either 10 or 15 lb powerpro with the same leader set-up... If I use them on the ice, it's in the shanty with the heat on. 

Edited by JJBat150

First year for me fishing lakers through the ice… everyone here is right on the money when they said to run braid and a fluoro leader. I've been running 10 lb power pro and 8 lb fouoro ice leader. I attach the two with a small swivel I use for steelhead. My leader length is only 3 ft. This is all set up on a Shimano Stradic CI4 2500. this works great in 150 fow I wouldn't want anything smaller.  I like running a shorter leader so it's less of a chance of the fluoro getting cut on the ice at the bottom the hole. I worry less when it's the that braid rubs. You will definitely have line rubbing on the bottom of the hole when they start fighting on the surface and you are directing their head towards the hole. If you attach the two lines with a swivel don't make your leader too long otherwise you will have a tough time reaching to get the fish out of the hole. Ive been using this set up on Keuka and pounding lakers. It's a lot of fun when they start screaming line through that hole in the ice. If you wanted to you could even go up to 15lb braid but I wouldn't go any higher. The 10/8 ratio works well for me. 

For lakers through the ice i run 8lb braid tied to a leader made from the same line. Lakers are not finicky fish at all. They dont care about seeing the braid. Nothing bothers them when they are feeding. No need for the mono leader

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think Dave's approach makes sense in the winter and deep water through the ice specifically for lakers. An exception would be if you're also after rainbows, browns or landlocks in shallower water because of the water clarity issue and more subtle jigging tactics possibly using smaller lures as well.

I think Dave's approach makes sense in the winter and deep water through the ice specifically for lakers. An exception would be if you're also after rainbows, browns or landlocks in shallower water because of the water clarity issue and more subtle jigging tactics possibly using smaller lures as well.

i agree Les

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Something to also think about when using tip ups for trout in shallower water especially is setting some just under the ice and staggering the depths of them. Many folks make the mistake of setting everything close to the bottom thinking that it is where all the action occurs but in fact many trout "cruise" just under the ice looking for food sources. You never know where they are going to be either I recently caught a real nice rainbow while jigging for perch in 8 ft of water suspended about 5 ft. and I had to mess with him for quite awhile before he would go for the tiny jig and spike (24 inch rainbow and worth the effort).

Once the snow starts melting and we have had more than normal amounts this year the numerous little(usually insignificant) streams around the shorelines become swollen and empty their contents under the ice often unseen and that moving water erodes the ice from underneath where you can't see it.  Not only may there be potential problems going out but also coming back in after it was cold in the AM but then warmed up while you are fishing and then when you come back in the area around the shoreline has become unsafe (been there done that) making it treacherous getting back to solid ground.

Don't just go by someone's report of ice thickness alone and assume you'll be fine out there. This part of the season is the most dangerous on all these akes because of changing (but often unseen) conditions. The early season problem of not enough ice is one that is more easily detected.

An interesting tidbit from last nights ice fishing at the south end of Canandaigua. I was fishing alongside Scott B. the owner of Makiplastics (best plastics for panfish jigging around) and Pro staffer for Vexilar and Clam and others and we were chatting about jigging in the various Finger Lakes and we each fish Honeoye and I've fished it since the late 60's. We were both commenting on how difficult the bite can be and you get "lookers" (those fish that examine your jig but won't actually bite) that won't take the bait no matter what you use or how you use it. Scott then eloquently stated something Ihad felt for many years...he said " If you can learn to jig successfully on Honeoye you can catch fish that way anywhere. He has fished all over and we agreed that tough fishing conditions combined with perseverance teach you more than any video, seminar, or Youtube video can ever do. So when you are out there jigging your azz off but paying close attention to detail keep that in mind because the lesson applies not just to Honeoye or to jigging for that matter. The year after year of picking up on the "nuances" makes all the difference in the world and patience is the key to it all.