Second Chance Buck

Jersey Len

My New Jersey 2014 Buck Season

Our six day shotgun season started on Dec. 8 this year. My hunting buddies and I all met up at my Hunting Cabin, located on my farm the day before. We were all fired up in anticipation of the next days hunt to say the least. After a few cocktails  followed up by a great Elk Pot Roast dinner that was slow cooked for ten hours we were almost ready for the next day.  After few hunting stories and a toast or two for good luck  we headed  for the bunk, 4:30 am. comes real fast.

Opening day I was in my tree stand at 6:00 am, it was really quiet that morning and only 18 deg. F.  nothing was moving , until 26 Wild Turkey flew in to my feeder at 8:30 am. After cleaning up all the corn they  walked off and a Doe and her fawn walked in . The squirrells showed up at about 11:00 am. and that was it for my morning hunt. It was time for lunch. My days of hunting all day in the stand ended a few years ago.

I  returned to my stand at 3 pm. And by 4:15 all the action started, 8 Does and fawns walked in.  Following them in, 10 minutes later was another lone deer, I spotted his rack and my gun went up, my scope confirmed he was a shooter , letting him get to within 50 yards as he steped out from behind a tree , my crosshairs were just behind his shoulder when I squeezed the trigger . Well much to my surprise the gun did not fire , I knew I set the safety off, but checked it again, it was off . After squeezing the trigger two more times and opening and closing the bolt with no results, I raised the gun up to eject the shell and it fired without me touching the trigger . The firing pin must have frozen do to dampness and below freezing  temperatures. A lesson to be learned here for sure.  With the sound of the shot some of the deer scattered, but  four of the Does remained there. The Buck backed off behind a lot of brush and hid there not knowing where the shot came from. Well it must have been my lucky day, he slowly moved toward the Does again to check them out, as he poked his head out from behind the same tree and my crosshairs centered behind his shoulder, I fired . This time he went down only going about 25 ‘ . He was a nice six point Buck with no brow tines.  What a day.

Edited by Jersey Len

Congrats,I had a Remington 7600 pump that went off when I had it over my shoulder while standing with my hunting buddies,shocked them,told them I didn't touch it,ejected the shell racked another one in held it out and it went off again,took it to Remington arms and told them,they checked it out and said nothing was wrong with it?don't use it anymore!its legal to bait down there?

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

"Well much to my surprise the gun did not fire , I knew I set the safety off, but checked it again, it was off . After squeezing the trigger two more times and opening and closing the bolt with no results, I raised the gun up to eject the shell and it fired without me touching the trigger "

Had the same thing happen last year with my Sako .243.  Took the bolt apart and solvent cleaned it.  The professional advice I received, was to be very sparing with any lube in the bolt.  Some said no lube, some said use G96 lightly, add others said use Molly Lube on firing pin. 

After cleaning the bolt, I put a very light coat of G96 on the firing pin and reassembled.  All has worked well since.  G96 is supposed to have very good cold weather properties.