Gaffs allowed when ice fishing?

Chas0218

Does New York allow the use of gaffs when ice fishing? My buddy has been ice fishing for a long time and always carries a gaff.

If they are allowed I would only use them on pike and walleye as pulling a 15 lbs pike thru the ice is awful tough without getting torn up.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Found it finally, I looked all last night and couldn't find it.  I had to look under the freshwater section. I guess you can during ice fishing.

http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/31416.html

Use of Gaffs

Use or possession of gaffs or gaff hooks is prohibited

When fishing in freshwater, including the Hudson River upstream of the Tappan Zee Bridge, except when ice fishing.

Edited by Chas0218

I've carried one with me for years but have never actually had to use it even with big northerns or lakers on light line. Usually you can just slide them out of the hole carefully if you let them get tired first (assuming the jig is in the side of their mouth and not swallowed). If using live bait I usually use a light wire leader because pike usually swallow the bait. Get their head started out of the hole and turned to the side and stick a finger carefully in the bottom of the gill (avoiding the mouth itself) :lol: and quickly "slide" them over the edge of the hole. This is admittedly more difficult if you have built up mounds of snow around your hole though (to keep the wind out).

Edited by Sk8man

I've carried one with me for years but have never actually had to use it even with big northerns or lakers on light line. Usually you can just slide them out of the hole carefully if you let them get tired first (assuming the jig is in the side of their mouth and not swallowed). If using live bait I usually use a light wire leader because pike usually swallow the bait. Get their head started out of the hole and turned to the side and stick a finger carefully in the bottom of the gill (avoiding the mouth itself) :lol: and quickly "slide" them over the edge of the hole. This is admittedly more difficult if you have built up mounds of snow around your hole though (to keep the wind out).

I usually only have to worry about it when I'm jigging, on my tip-ups I use the snelled hooks with wire leader.

Does it hurt them picking them up by the eyes?  I have heard contradicting opinions.

Edited by Chas0218

Yes you never pick them up by the eyes (damages nervous system and they may die after release) nor should you keep them vertical for any longer than you have to (screws up their internal organs).