wire for dipseys

The 19 strand from Torpedo is my favorite. To get a full reel, load it backwards first, this way you put the backing on last and get the exact amount you need to fill the reel. Then take it off and put in on regularly and the wire will be right up to the top where you want it.

I guess everyone has their favorite set up but you may wish to consider Bloodrun (Amazon?) 30 lb 7 strand wire in the brown/camo color and the 30 lb Big Game mono for the backing. Don't use braid straight on the spool spindle of the reels.  Use good quality (e.g. Seaguar red or blue label) fluorocarbon leader (length up to you I usually use about 8-20 ft). I usually use 20 lb test for running spinneys and flashers. There is also 19 strand wire from Torpedo that is easier on the tips and eyes. If you can't find Bloodrun wire Accustrand  and Mailn are good and Mason works too. Make sure you use a twilli tip (e..g. fish307.com) or a rod with a roller tip for the wire ...it will cut into most conventional  rod guides and/or tips. Some guys worry about having enough backing but make sure you leave plenty of room to get all your wire on. In my view the backing is primarily to keep the reel spool intact from the pressure of the wire. I have never even come close to being spooled (even with big kings) so I don't worry about the backing issue. If you have your drag set right and know how to "work" your boat against fish it shouldn't ever be an issue with the 30 lb wire in fresh water at least.

Edited by Sk8man

1000ft of 20lb Malin fits perfect on a Okuma Convector cv 20 with no need for backing. 1 less thing to go wrong. The 1000ft roll will also fit nicely on a Daiwa sg27lc without having to use backing. I run 20lb leader for spoons early then switch to 30lb in the summer thru fall.

Total Chaos

Keep in mind reels work best when filled as intended, to capacity. They will still work if you don't, but the balanced interplay between gear ratios, crank handle radius, and the loaded spool diameter will be other than what the engineers who designed the reel intended. If you don't back a large reel's spool and only fill it 2/3 of the way the drag will be otherwise more sticky and you won't have anywhere near the rated inches per turn retrieval rate.

Some people use superb braid for backing and claim they can keep the braid from slipping on the spool with various techniques, but it's just easier to use mono for backing and avoid the potential problems. Mono grips the spool tightly and won't slip. Problem avoided. I use 25lb Trilene Big Game for wire backing.

On the other end I will only use a fluorocarbon leader if I am running a slide diver or rigging a fixed diver to slide. Otherwise, the wire goes right to a heavy snap swivel which attaches to the diver.

The 19 strand is a lot more forgiving overall than 7 strand. They both can kink and fail. Seven strand tends to fail without warning and you lose your snap, diver, and lure or attractor and lure. When 19 strand is about to fail, some of the fine outer strands will break and unwind into a fuzzy birds nest like spot that you can see. In this way it warns you that a failure is imminent and you can repair it. You still lose line when you cut out the bad section, but you haven't lost the snap, diver, and bait(s).

I run fluorocarbon leaders behind divers as light as 12lb for browns, and up to 25 for attractors targeting salmon.

Rigging fixed divers to slide is another topic but the backing / full spool stuff above doesn't change.

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

John makes some very good points. The main reason I use the mono backing is to avoid slippage as well as help decrease direct pressure on the spool from the wire tightening. This was suggested to me by the folks at Tuna Tom's reel repair a few years ago.

we  use 30 lb 7 strand blood run on okuma 30 series reels.1000 feet with no backing and a 25 lb mono leader with no problems other than trying to get the bass fisherman who we bring out not to set the hook!!!!!even after telling them 10 times not to.

Mark the mono will stretch when extended but it is buried under 1,000 ft of 7 strand which to my knowledge wouldn't stretch it but possibly compress it. I guess whatever works for you.....I just figured that the folks at Tuna Tom's knew a little more about the internal aspects of reels than I do so I did what they suggested when I set them up. My reels are holding up fine (not compressing on the spool) and I haven't noticed any difference in the way the line goes through the level wind mechanism.  I believe it is more important to get the wire straight with the level wind when you first put it on to prevent it going at an angle on the spool but again I just go with what works for me and there are probably many ways it can be done (e.g. dacron as they do in salt water) and still work out...whatever you have confidence in I guess.

Edited by Sk8man

Most of our reels have a small stud in the spool to tie onto when starting to fill...a single wrap of the Malin around it will hold. We fill the Daiwa Saltist 30 reels with 1000 feet straight up and have never experienced a single issue.

Well, other than the dreaded wire-copper tangle occasionally in heavy current  ;(  

Edited by Gator

Well, other than the dreaded wire-copper tangle occasionally in heavy current  ;(  

this is a little off topic but we had a few of those tangles last year and i was able to salvage the ATOMMIK copper but not the wire.  so when i got home i put all the remaining wire (700 ft or so) on an empty reel (same model) and then filled the remainder with braid.  wire connected to braid with improved albright knot.

when the reel is just about full of braid I albright knotted a little mono to it.  Now you have a reel filled to capacity spooled backwards.  Tie the mono to the spool of the empty reel to prevent slippage and start cranking.  Make sure the drag is on just tight enough so it feeds off with pressure on it and respools tightly, clickers on.

A lot of work and your arm will be cramped to he!l from reeling 1000+ ft on each reel, but better than dumping 30-40 bucks on new wire.  I have not been taken out to the braid backing ever but I have faith that the albright knot will hold.

• 4 weeks later...

I switched to the Torpedo 19 strand last year and loved it. It can fray (I found that fleas caused some of the fraying when trying to remove them) but it's visible and can be caught in advance and re-crimped. On other brands you'll lose you're hardware and the fish when an unnoticed kink finally gives.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by FleetTracker