Show some of your homemade equipment for ice fishing

steelie21

Very nice! We target pike exclusively and to keep big bait from tripping our flags, clothespins are screwed and taped to our tilts. This is my sons tilt, mine have been commandeered by my other son. I prefer the clothespin opposite the spool side to keep the line from tangling in the clothespin but he'll have to learn the hard way!

post-151648-0-45602900-1418922305_thumb.jpg

Inexpensive LED lights on my sled :lol:  for coming back in after dark (in addition to my headlamp).

post-145411-0-70443000-1419026093_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

These tip downs are "old school" and far from "elegant" but they work and cost next to nothing to make. I can hear my buddy Admiral Byrd laughing from here as he built his to withstand a nuclear attack....but for folks on a limited budget or with limited amount of time here are basic tip downs made from boards I had sitting around, old dowels , sections of coat hanger wire, and cut pieces of imitation cork from a wine bottle. They work great for perch and panfish....but you'd have problems with a big pike :lol:

post-145411-0-73883700-1419082865_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-86799700-1419082878_thumb.jpg

post-145411-0-96089800-1419082889_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Nice job on that sled especially the runners

I don't often take my Clam shelter (usually bucket or folding chair with sled) but these are the rod holder setups (Anglers Pals from my previous boat) one folded inward position (storage) and the other is shown outward at angle. Note the taped up foam noodle section on the rope for hand comfort/protection.

post-145411-0-60310200-1419560471_thumb.jpg

Edited by Sk8man

Love the headlights in your sled Les! I once built a sled that needed a clydesdale to pull across the ice. I put a car stereo and battery in it and the American Flag pole doubled as an antenna. My wife also made a nice shamrock windbreak for it. It was so big that it had to sit outside in the weather which eventually ruined it but it was fun while it lasted.

Cool sled Steelie thanks for sharing.  Hey Thun I too am guilty of dragging everything but the kitchen sink out there. Years ago I had a full size insulated chest and full sized tobogan that I dragged out there....after that I went with just a bucket, jigging rods and bait for years....now I'm back midway between the two :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Before I bought my clam flip over shelter, I had just an old style steel runner children's, that I used as a kid. I then just zip tied 3 milk crates to the platform and that carried everything I needed and pulled great.  The only down side was if the ice was real broken up from a previous wind and it refroze into a jumbled mess. Then the runners weren't quite far enough apart.  But if you have an old sled lying around it is a real easy way to haul gear.