Have You Been Spooled? Here's a tip to stop it.

I'll be the first to throw the BS flag on this one. While the technique "may" work with 60-80 feet of line out I hardly think a king nearly 300 YARDS away is going to feel you "tapping" the rod. Wire might impart some vibration to a fish that far away but mono certainly will not.

For years big marlin anglers have simply turned the boat to put a belly in the line. The drag of all that line coupled with the drag of the reel pulling the fishes head to one side will stop anything. It works on 1000 pound marlin and it works on 28 pound kings.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I'm calling shenanigans! But you can bet I do it on every fish next year. Ill try to convince everyone on board that it's an ancient native American technique that allows you to communicate with the fish. It was handed down to me from my grandfather who was a tribal fish whisperer.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You're supposed to raise the rod tip high & smack the butt of the rod!  One good chop in front of the reel will allow line to go slack; hurt like heck; knock the rod out of your hand; break the rod; or hit the guy clearing other lines in the head.

Tom B.

(LongLine)

(Ancient native Americans had rods & reels?)

Stream fishing for years I bang on the rod when the fish gets in brush,gets  wrapped around something,   or turn a screamer around and it work a lot of the time.Another  trick is to take the pressure off & sometimes they slow down. And yes, I hit the rod on the blank above the forehandle.

In the stream if you take the pressure off & feed the fish loose line, it gets behind them and pulls from downstream & the fish will swim right back up to you all by themselves. Done this MANY times & it works!

Edited by Has Been

No shenanigan here! I've fished King Salmon many times and it works on long lines. A fish's lateral line is like an electrical conductor and even with mono or flouro line they're gonna feel it at a long distance because it's like small jerks on the line that's go through their body. Just for an experiment, tie some 30# to your tooth (turn and start walking away) and have a buddy pull it tight from a couple hundred yards away and then thump on the rod. lol That'll answer your question.I think I already belayed any doubts.  :rofl:

• 5 months later...

Geez I tied it to my rod and threw them both overboard and it didn't work....any advice? :lol:

Les!...ya gotta attach a gps tracker and flashing strobe to it .."(Hooper style kegs)"..like those repeat tournament winners do. It will follow your trophy salmon around until it gets tired and just rests. Then track it ..and your 5 lb reel of copper and 900 feet of backing that got spooled!!...you know it's gotta be a trophy salmon and tournament winner cause ya got "spooled"...wait:angry:...i remember that didn't work for me either..:unsure:..Somebody else snagged my rig and it's on another boat now.. I used one of those mylar balloons that said I love you on it, and Ray homed in on that thing fishing in the buff. I just let him have the thing. I didn't want to get tagged by OMGANOTHERSHORTFATBALDONE!..:o:(:(:rolleyes:

Getting spooled is cool! Why would you want to stop that? That story will eventually turn into how you hooked into a Marlin in Lake Ontario 30 years down the road. 

Seriously though, this guy just played you guys. Now you're all a bunch of "rod tappers!"  :lol:  :lol:

Getting spooled is cool! Why would you want to stop that? That story will eventually turn into how you hooked into a Marlin in Lake Ontario 30 years down the road.

Seriously though, this guy just played you guys. Now you're all a bunch of "rod tappers!" :lol::lol:

I said it first!

Now all I see is people running drags WAY too loose and frantically tapping the rod butts and line melts off the reel. Lmao.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United