Predator Hunting-Foxes, and a humbling experience.

dawsonscreek

I took the Foxpro out tonight with hopes of a gray fox. First set was right before dark, to my surprise, a gray came in and I fumbled to get the safety on the rifle off and ended up not getting a shot. A few more sets produced no foxes. We got dinner and headed to a different property, first set a gray came bounding in.It was now pitch dark so I switched to using a shotgun with an extra full choke and Federal's Dead Coyote load. I took a shot I probably shouldn't have, and hit the fox but did not kill it. My friend tried to finish it off, but missed. I've never shot in the dark, and regret not practicing it. At one point we each had a shot at the fox again, but he was between me and my friend, so safety being the number one concern, no shots were taken. We tried to catch up to the fox but it got away, definitely wounded. We will return tomorrow to make every effort to find the animal. It's more than just some varmint to me. Every animal deserves respect, whether it be a monster buck or a coyote. Can't help but feel humbled by tonight's experience. No hunter is above making a bad shot, and any one who thinks they are will be proven wrong.

Positives- I was successful. I couldn't be more elated that two grays came in to the call. It was a lot of fun. Due to life events, i.e. growing up, and work, I have lost contact with a good friend that I used to hunt with all the time. Tonight, it was nice to have a new friend to spend time in the outdoors with. I realized my mistakes, and will not make them again. I didn't let the excitement of the hunt jeopardize our safety.  

Negatives- I took a shot I was not 100% sure of, and for that, I am having a hard time coming to terms with. 

Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

Edited by dawsonscreek

I wouldn't beat myself up too much Jeff....it is called "hunting"  and learning the little nuances of it (experiencing weak areas of experience as well as the strong ones) is what gives the eventual edge on things...all part of the learning game.  The fact that you are able to call them in says a lot in terms of where you are on the "learning curve" :yes:

What sounds were you using to work those grays in I've never called one in just reds n yotes

Sent from my C811 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Try Scream-N-gray fox. And different rabbit sounds. First fox came in to the fox sound second came in to a rabbit distress. Persistence and being in a low pressure area with a decent population helps. Good luck! These were the first animals I've actually brought in, apart from a coyote last year.

I wouldn't beat myself up too much Jeff....it is called "hunting"  and learning the little nuances of it (experiencing weak areas of experience as well as the strong ones) is what gives the eventual edge on things...all part of the learning game.  The fact that you are able to call them in says a lot in terms of where you are on the "learning curve" :yes:

Thank you, Les!

The fact that you didn`t practice shooting in the dark is like taking a bow and arrow

and not shooting it before taking it hunting and wounding an animal.

You should feel terrible because you did something very stupid.

The only stupid thing I can see here is your comments! I'm pretty sure the whole point of this was for him explaining what he did and how he felt about it!? ( sounded pretty bad to me). Everyone looses game one day or another and thats just the way it goes. People like you shouldn't be allowed to speak. Edited by JakeyBaby

The point I was trying to make was there are enough things that can happen while on a hunt which can effect the shot and if we

can eliminate some of these things we will have better success and not have to deal with the negative things.

Something similar to this happened to me once and my hunting buddies busted my chops for it. That helped me never to forget it and not make the mistake again.

I didn`t say Dawson was stupid. I said it was a stupid thing that happened and all some of you can do is get belligerent.

I believe Dawson`s post said "Any thoughts or comments are appreciated" with the key word being ANY. Not just yours.

Just keep going Dawson!!! I have taught several hundred people to shoot and to shoot and survive in combat situations. Day or night its all the same, sight picture, stance, grip, breathing, and trigger control its all the same only difference is if someone is shooting back LOL. I have found most folks shoot better in the dark or low light situations they have less to focus on and groups tighten up big time. Just keep your head up at least your out doing it and not just reading it on a forum. Sean

It is always easier to criticize than to offer constructive information. Sean's comments are right on the mark (as usual) and he is a guy who fully knows what he is talking about.  The comments above also illustrate that the vast majority of the folks on this forum are here to be supportive and offer constructive comments and information....that is how we all improve our sports and hopefully make things better for the younger generation (or inexperienced) folks to make their mark and succeed. You have the right attitude Jeff....hang in there bud.

Everyone makes mistakes, and the fact that you are posting about it and asking for comments/advice shows that you are looking for ways to improve on your next hunt.  It's easy to post about the successful hunts (when you bag a monster buck for instance), but not many people will even say a word about the one they shot that got away.  To me, that says a lot about your character and your respect for wildlife.  Nice job Dawsonscreek.

The point I was trying to make was there are enough things that can happen while on a hunt which can effect the shot and if we

can eliminate some of these things we will have better success and not have to deal with the negative things.

Something similar to this happened to me once and my hunting buddies busted my chops for it. That helped me never to forget it and not make the mistake again.

I didn`t say Dawson was stupid. I said it was a stupid thing that happened and all some of you can do is get belligerent.

I believe Dawson`s post said "Any thoughts or comments are appreciated" with the key word being ANY. Not just yours.

I see what you're saying and am not offended by it. I think stupid is the wrong word to use though. It is near impossible to use the word "stupid" without I being condescending. I admitted to making a foolish mistake, but by no means was what I did "very stupid". Thanks, for chiming in. And thanks to everybody else for backing me. Edited by dawsonscreek

I had a similar issue when I started hunting predators at night. My first shot was a coyote. I didn't know what shot to use, so I started with Turkey loads. Big mistake. First coyote went down but got right back up and ran. Second problem was no blood trail. The second animal I shot was a Fox. Popped right out of a den 20 ft in front of me. I hit him, knocked him over and he got back up. Luckily I had a friend with me who had a rifle and night vision scope. He finished it off. When we skinned it we found most of the pellets didn't penetrate. Left a lot of bruising, very little penetration. I've switched to a rifle and night vision scope, but when i get the shotgun out its loaded with buck shot now. Just not during deer season.

Nothing you did you should be disappointed with. Your learning and getting good feedback. Keep up the good work and be proud of yourself. We all have learning curves from time to time. How you handle them is what counts.

Jason

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app