Humminbird 597 Vs 688

JJBat150

I currently have a 597CI that I move around from Boat to Kayak to a Portable unit for ice fishing and run the Navtronics maps card in it.  (Both the kayak and boat have transducer & power cabling permanently installed).

I stumbled upon an opportunity to purchase a used 597CI with ~1000 hours usage on it, but is damaged and won't read the SD Card - all other functions seem OK.

I Contacted Humminbird support, and they gave me a flat rate of $255 for repair.

So....

$200 to purchase unit
$245 for flat rate repair.

$445 for a  "factory fresh" unit.  

The dilemma :

For around the same price, I can purchase a new 688CI HD that would use the same transducer and mounting base as the 597, so I could move that around as necessary, and not have to change anything. - I realize that if I got the down imaging model, the transducers aren't interchangeable but honestly not too interested in that option.

Looking at the specs of the 2 units, the only real difference I see is that 597 has a higher screen resolution (640X640) then the 688 (480X640).  I'm sure the 688 has a faster processer, so there maybe a bit of performance gain.

Looking to see if anyone has hands-on experience with the 688 series compared to the 597 series ?  

Anyone have experience with Humminbird's repair service for an issue like this ?

Anyone have experience with Humminbird's repair service for an issue like this ?

I had a 788 repaired for the SD card insert , repair looked like someone with all thumbs would do ( like me ).... in a post on here I stated that and one of there test people on here gave them a heads up on my post  as well as the person I had replied to..... after I took some pictures and sent them in a e-mail they told me to send my unit back to them and they would replace it. I replied unit worked and I would send it back after the season was over........... the shipped a new unit to me in a few days with a slip to send mine back..... very happy  customer service follow up after a poor repair job......... 

• 4 weeks later...