cannon pulleys

anniep

I have four 10stx cannons and when they come up at times the cable jumps the pulley. My resent 5hs"s did this a lot . Sine they have updated the pulley was surposted to prevent this. Didn"t completly. DOES ANYBODY KNOW IS CANNON HAS A FIX FOR THIS? iT APPEARS BECAUSE OF THE SPEED OF RECOVERY THAT WHEN THE WEIGHT SURFACES THE CABLE JUMPS THE PULLEY WHEN IT STOPS. IS THERE A FIX SURE HOPE SO. Thanks for all the help in advance. All have a great Holiday season.

Hasn't happened to me yet but I am concerned about the ball bouncing when the rigger stops. On another thread, someone suggested these downrigger snubbers from Amish Outfitters and I'm going to try them. Maybe they'll help the cable stay in the pulley too?

https://amishoutfitters.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=5&products_id=52&zenid=79f84e204ce37f7ab57adc973302093f

Makes me kinda glad I've held onto my Mag10's all these years :lol:  I never remember any of these problems before they sped up the downriggers up significantly.

Depending when those pulleys were made, there was a short run that were more likely to experience that. First, check and make sure all the screws are drawn up evenly and tightly. If yes, they will probably swap them out. The reason it was happening was the material used for that short period of time was affected by humidity and actually swelled. This caused the pulley to "cant" to one side or the other leading to the cable jumping. 

As for the auto stops, I would definitely set them so the weight remains in the water as this prevents them from swinging wildly while hanging--which could result in a breakoff or damage your boat.

The TS series automatically slows as it approaches the surface.

Thanks Capt Vince this is the info i was looking for as i had read or heard this was an early problem. Will check when i launch the boaat in the spring and see which i have. Really like the speed but not the sudden stop at the pulley. Like you say stop them in the water. Really helpful. 

I bought 2 new Mag10's in 2012 and they had the poorly designed pulley, although I only experienced the cable jump thing once. I bought 3 more new Mag10's in February for another boat and they had the newer pulley design that Eliminates this issue. Call Cannon and they'll send you the updated pulleys.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by FleetTracker

Fleettracker is correct.  I purchased new Cannon 10`s in 2012 and found that there were gaps between the pulley and the covers that surround the pulley and the cable was riding over the pully and getting stuck. At that point you had to disassemble the pulley assembly to get the cable free.

I brought them to A & P Custome Tackle where I bought the riggers and they gave me new pulleys with the covers that ride very close to the pulleys and never had another problem.

• 2 weeks later...

I purchased my Cannon's in early 2012 and have had several cable jumping incidents since then.  One cost me a 13lb torpedo, another about 50ft of coated cable.  Once I did need to disassemble the pulley housing to repair.

Based on this post I called Cannon to see if there were improved pulleys.  The confirmed there was, and it was likely I did not have them.  The sent me two.  See attached photo of older (left) and hopefully improved (right).  Thanks for posting this topic!

post-144858-0-28974200-1420922707_thumb.jpg

Thanks for posting pictures of pulleys. Called cannon they said they needed the ser . numbers. Going to call them back as mine are the early desighn. Hopefully they will replace all four. Thanks to all who responded ,a great help as always on this site . Great guys, happy fishing to all.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for posting pictures of pulleys. Called cannon they said they needed the ser . numbers. Going to call them back as mine are the early desighn. Hopefully they will replace all four. Thanks to all who responded ,a great help as always on this site . Great guys, happy fishing to all.

New pulleys on the way. Thanks for all the info

• 3 weeks later...