Best time for Taugannok?

turk99

I think much of the time it is a matter of putting your time in and being lucky to be there when the fish are cruising the shoreline. Sometimes fresh egg sacks can be a real enticement though :) 

Been interested in shore fishing from the wall at Taugannok park. When is the best time for bites this time of year. Early AM?

First light. Thats when most of the browns  and salmon are caught ...  I would not expect much after about 9 am.. You certainly might get lucky on any given day, but a LOT of regulars fish all day every day for a week there without a hit.. Then one day you'l get 5 keeper size salmonids in a morning... Its a very picky place to fish.. You need to be able to put a  real lot of time in, and hope for the best.. I simply don't have that much patience anymore.. Caught some nice fish there over the years, but there simply aren't enough around to keep me interested.. If you are patient, and have a lot of time, you  can catch fish there all winter... Remember, the vast majority of the salmonids in cayuga are around bait, and most of the bait is REAL deep this time of year, not near the shorelines... bob

Bulletbob, I'm new to this. Thanks for the advice. When is the ideal month(s) when baitfish are closer to shore?

Best time is when the sawbellies are in close  to shore spawning...  I  think May-  early July is best when fishing from the shore at the park.. It all depeneds on when the sawbellies are close in to the shore... You will know when you see a lot of guys fishing from shore and actually catching fish somewhat regularly.. Thats  when  I would fish if I still did a lot of shore fishing..bob

Bob laid it out real well. When that happens you do need to be there early just to get a good spot :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

If you do decide to winter fish there, go on a warmer day, and fish the run off coming out of the creek mouth. Heads up, the pier there is often covered in a thick layer of ice in winter.

Also in late winter check out the view of the ice formation around the upper falls. It's something to see after it's been cold for a while.

I live near it so I fish it semi regular. I've caught fish, some decent, but I'd laugh before I believed you could go there now and enjoy even a half steady bite. Honestly, I go there because the company is great! The guys who fish there are not jerks, like to tell stories, swear, all the good stuff!!

A couple years ago before the lamprey numbers went through the roof we had great days I'm talking keepers in the teens quite often in the winter. Other than the sawbelly spawn it was the best time of year for me. I probably spend more time there than anyone and second the great company. On a side note were having our annual winter picnic tourney on jan 17. Starts at 6 am weigh in at 3 shore only no boats great food at noon. Dish to pass optional 5$ entry biggest fish wins. Come have some fun food and bs in the cold.

Sent from my BNTV600 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

There are a great bunch of guys that fish there and when my daughter was going to Ithaca College (graduated last year) I used to stop and BS with them quite a bit throughout the season. Always met interesting folks there and saw a few real nice trout caught too. Some hardcore dudes fishing it in the winter :lol:

Looking forward to the picnic, perch predator. May not show up early to fish, but I'll be stopping by with some "lemonade" for a visit around lunch time.

Quick question, can you only weigh in fish caught at Taughannock, or is it any shore spot on Cayuga? I'm pretty sure you said it's T-Falls exclusively, but wanted to confirm before next week. 

Maaaan it's cold out!!!! :)

Have only caught a handful of fish at Taugannok, but I have definately put in my fare share of sun up till sun down days. Like everyone says, it a great place to talk fishing with people who people who love to fish. I "fished" for a few a few hours on Christmas eve, don't think I had my line in the water for more than 15 minutes, but I did hear and told quite a few good stories. Turk99, you may want to try Miliken station. I have not fished there yet this winter, but it can be a very productive spot this time of year. That being said, I have definately had many  8hr days of fishing with out even a bite.  

Ahab,

1. I see no plausible reason to believe that "all the fishermen at Taughannock are liars." Your inability to catch fish at Taughannock is your problem, not theirs. 

2. All the fish are not at CPP. I know this for a fact. That's in part for the reason that Perch Predator mentioned, and in part for the fact that trout behavior is so much more complex than you're making it out to be, particularly during winter. There are *always* fish around T-falls. You've gotta have a clue on how to catch them. Personally, instead of running my mouth or blaming other fishermen for my woes, I choose to listen, watch, and learn.

1. I suppose that we will find out on Saturday just how many fish are at t-falls.

2. I maybe the only fisherman that has ever lied.

3. pay your $5 before you start fishing. good luck.

4. can I enter the fish that I catch at Milliken ?