inline planer boards and fireline issue

OK this is driving me nuts! I have a rig with 14/6 fireline and I want to use a off shore inline planer board with some stickbaits. The fireline keeps slipping out of the release pads. It seems 1 time I read there was a way to correct it but I'll be darn if I can figure it out. Anybody? Thanks

You can switch out the releases with the Offshore OR-18's which are tension adjustable and designed to work with braid but they cost about $18 each. They're worth it if you really want to run braid on the boards. Another thing you can try is to wrap a rubber band several times around the end of the release to give it some extra tension but changing releases is probably you're best bet. Lots of guys just run 10lb mono with the boards since it's more release friendly and seems to help keep fish on the line a little better than braid due to the extra stretch factor which is helpful during that critical time when you're holding the line by hand and removing the board with a fish on the line.

Thanks Ill try that. The rubberband method didnt work for me today. It kept slipping down the line. The twist method worked a little but it also released a few times. Im gonna get the releases you mentioned. Who has em?

I found them at fishusa.com for 11.95 plus shipping.

Also one more question. As far as rigging them, do you guys like them sliding down the line upon release or using a second release clip so when you get a fish you have to unsnap 2 releases and then finish fighting the fish? Otherwise you have to fight the fish and the board with the slide down method.????? Which release would you use if you wanted to use the 2 release method with superline.????? Way to many questions here

• 1 month later...

Use the OR-16 with the pin in the middle. Put the line on the inside of the pin. Then wrap the line around the release so it does not slide down. It will not release but it does not need to reel in the board first then the fish.

CC