600 copper reel

Will a Okuma Clarion 553 fit 600 ft of 45 lbs copper with 150 yds of power pro? Also, is the line guide big enough for an SPRO swivel?

no it wont. You will need a Okuma Solterra for that

Maybe this will help

Okuma Clarion 553=

500' of 45# copper and 90' of 50# braid backing

450' of 45# copper and 300' of 50# braid backing

400' of 45# copper and 500' of 50# braid backing

350' of 45# copper and 600' of 50# braid backing

300' of 45# copper and 600-800' of 50# braid backing

Okuma Solterra=

500' of 45# copper and 1000' of 50# braid backing

600' of 45# copper and 700' of 50# braid backing

700' of 45# copper and 400' of 50# braid backing

800' of 45# copper and 90' of 50# braid backing

• 5 months later...

I guess my question is the real need for 600 cp...

I run 300's, 400's & 500's. ....for those couple days a year the fish are below what I can reach with a 500 I add 8 Oz dive bombs or torpedos & still get hits. Sucks reeling in 500..... Hate any more! Just my $.02....

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Paul,

Volume wise (with respect to reel capacity), there's no real depth advantage to the 60lb copper over longer lengths of 45 or 32.

What many people don't consider though is that at any given desired depth, you need less line out with heavier 60lb copper (compared to 45 or 32) which correlates directly to less cranks of the reel, which is the complaint most people express.

A reel with a high speed retrieve (and less torque) pulling in a longer length of lighter copper can actually be more work than using a reel with a standard retrieve (and more torque) pulling in a shorter length of heavier copper.

Based solely on studying the Blood Run depth charts and plugging the depth and diameter info into a spreadsheet to calculate the volumetric efficiency and retrieve per crank of some typical copper reels, one could make a case for getting the best of all worlds by using the 32 for shorter length up to 200-250ft and 60lb for all deeper depths. The more common 45 doesn't perform with the same volumetric efficiency as the lighter and heavier coppers.

Edited by John E Powell

I guess we all have differences in opinion. I (personally) would rather crank the handle a few more times on a lighter high speed reel. The high speed reel also helps pick up the slack line fast on the initial hit. Versus winching in a fish slowly on a heavy Solterra with line as thick as telephone wire. Also, isn't 60 lbs copper too big for SPRO swivels...so you have to rely on Albright knots? No thanks. Just the way I see it.

I guess we all have differences in opinion. I (personally) would rather crank the handle a few more times on a lighter high speed reel. The high speed reel also helps pick up the slack line fast on the initial hit. Versus winching in a fish slowly on a heavy Solterra with line as thick as telephone wire. Also, isn't 60 lbs copper too big for SPRO swivels...so you have to rely on Albright knots? No thanks. Just the way I see it.

60# copper works fine with spro swivels.

Btw there is nothing sporting about ANY of the coppers or lead cores. They are fish killing devices--nothing more. Saying you want more "sport" from your copper is like riding an elevator for exercise.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United