Niagara bar walleyes

bettieanne

Hello, I have heard that they catch walleyes off the Niagara bar, but in my two trips their I have yet to produce. I just moved to Orleans county and that is one of the closer walleye spots that I know of. I fished it in early june and then late june and I belive my timing was off since I was the only boat around, except  some off shore salmon fishing in belive. I have never talked to someone who has fished it so I don't know if I am wasting my time.( well not realy a waste of time, fish just a bonus)  I am courious when is the time of year to fish that area for walleyes and do people fish the edge of the bar or in shore structure? I have read it is more of a trophy fishery than a numbers one.  Is that true?   Any insight would be much appreciated. Thanks

Fish are stocked in the river. You can catch some as high up as whirlpool. Most are caught drifting a minnow or spinner worm harness behind a three-way. Drifting the area in front of the green-can (buoy) off Fort Niagara you will have pickin's of many species until the moss shows up at the end of May. Sheephead, Bass, Lakers, Steelhead, Browns, Walleye and occasional Coho or King even. You really need a bow mount electric motor to do it right and keep your boat over your bait.

Thanks harvdog, I fish chamount and nite troll out buffalo in may. I was hoping that their was some mid summer walleye still around but it seems like winter and spring are the times to fishem at the Niagara. Probily will  still make a summer trip or to to give it a try anyways. They gota be around somewhere! I also sent you a pm.

Edited by bettieanne