Kicker Motor

Posted this in another thread, but figured this may be a more appropriate location for it since i mostly fish the finger lakes.

I'm looking to possibly buy a new kicker this coming year.  I'm have a 16' Fiberglass Larson right now, but would like to purchase a new boat down the road (probably a 19' Aluminum Tracker Targa).  I would like something that i can switch over from the current boat to the new boat and still be fine.  I currently fish the finger lakes (Keuka and Seneca), but when i get a new boat i would like to make a few trips to Ontario as well. 

Any suggestions on what i should look at (and where the best places are to purchase one)?  It sounds like 4 stroke is definitely the way to go.  I've had only 2 stroke kickers in the past and i would definitely like something quieter than that.

Thanks,

Sean

Single cylinder 4 strokes are known to vibrate at trolling speeds. The smoother two cylinder 4 strokes are 8hp and 9.9hp.

At this point weight will become an issue to look at. In the Finger Lakes an 8hp would be good for both sizes of boats. Also these motors may come in short shaft, long shaft or extra long shaft. Short shaft will be unusable. Depending on how you hang it off your boat (fixed mount, adjustable mount) you may need the XL shaft.

That should get you started.

I have a 2007 15 hp bigfoot with a king throttle control and panthers T4 steering controls with it and also jack plate the motor is a longshaft. It maybe a little big now but down the road it could be great. 2500 or best offer for every thing. Every thing run and works great. You email me if interested at [email protected]

FISH ON ;)

Edited by Playin Hookey

Just suggest you consider LUND for new boat.  Worth checking out.  Merc and Honda make good kickers as well.

Plenty to see at Seager Marine or check them out at Rochester boat show coming up at the end of the month.

Thanks for all of the replies, definitely some good recommendations here!

Fbog12 - I have noticed that LUND also makes similar style boats to the Tracker Targa.  Are there certain things that you like better about LUND more than Tracker?  I haven't done much research on them yet because it will still be a few years down the road before i get a new one.  Are the prices similar between LUND and Tracker?

What i'm looking for is a multi-purpose boat.  Something that can be used for trolling on the finger lakes (but is big enough to take to Ontario on good weather days), bass fishing, and as a recreational boat for skiing or tubing for my family.  I know that seems pretty demanding of a boat, but from what i have seen, both LUND and Tracker make boats capable of it.

LUND will be twice the price as a Tracker for similar boats. The Tracker Targa you mentioned will be around $25-$26K brand new. A similarly sized Lund will be $50K easy. Certainly LUND provides some nice-to-have features and has a bit more attention to details, but for me was not worth paying double. I went with a Tracker and have been really happy with it. Once you get closer to your purchase and you put some time and research in, you'll see what I'm talking about. Best of luck in the kicker search and mounting!!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Guppy35 -  I prefer LUND over Tracker.  There are several reasons for this.  There is a continuing debate over welding vs rivets.  Welding (Tracker) distresses the material and can result in cracks. LUND uses hand driven rivets through double thickness of aluminum.  LUND's Integrated Power Strake hull design helps with boat control and stability.  There are other reasons that I can go over with you down the road as you get into your research phase.

As far as LUND pricing, I would compare the Tracker Targa to a LUND Impact 1775.  You can get an Impact 1775 with a 115hp motor for under $26K.  

Lund is top notch I have fished out of both and I have seen the above mentioned cracking.  It happens more frequently on the modified V boats more the Targa style.  I have seen a lot more older Lunds on the water than Tracker (a little hint on which will hold up better).  Don't get me wrong I like Trackers and are loaded with options for a great price but they are made with less expensive parts.  The Lunds I have looked at or fished on have better components and finishes from what I could tell (bilge pumps, livewell pumps, carpeting/vinyl, paint/powder coating, ect).  There is a reason why Lunds cost more.  Personally I like composite fiberglass boats and that is what my next boat will be.  You can get a resonably priced newer fiberglass for that $26k with a lot more fish-ability and better ride.

Now back to your original question, I have a 4700lbs. (loaded with gear and fuel) fiberglass boat and use a 7.5hp johnson to push my boat.  It can hit 3 mph into 4' waves with everything deployed (4 dipsys, 4 riggers all stacked) but that is darn near full throttle. I would recommend going bigger than you need and running socks to slow down if you have too.

Next year I will be getting a bigger kicker to accommodate my needs.

Here are a couple cheap fiberglass all composite.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1998-PROLINE-17-Sport-102104565

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2003-PROLINE-20-WALK-102395995

Edited by Chas0218

My step brother has a Tracker Targa, so i've fished from it several time for bass on the finger lakes, Salmon/Browns on Ontario, and Lakers on the finger lakes.  I really like the versatility of that model, because i do about equal amounts of trolling and bass fishing.  That's probably the reason i like that particular boat is because i've actually fished from it several times before.  I did look up the LUND Impact 1775, and it is a great looking boat.  My only concerns with that boat is that the gunnels are quite narrow.  The old boat i have now has narrow gunnels and i use a board across the back of the boat to mount my downriggers to, but i would really like to be able to mount my downriggers directly to the gunnels if possible to eliminate the need for the board (allowing for more open room in the back of the boat to fight fish, etc).

I am probably about 5 or 6 years away from purchasing a new boat, so obviously i haven't done near enough research to have my mind already set on a particular boat.  I do appreciate all the input though, very helpful!

When you look at a four stroke kicker you will appreciate the long shaft for its control and ease of use on the water over the short shaft. I am using an 8 hp Honda off the stern of my Lund and just love it. Both gas tanks (portable and internal) have the same fittings so I can switch tanks when I have to. This has saved me more than once!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was going to post a similar topic to this today, but I will just add to this discussion!

I have a 19' Sea Pro cuddy that I would like to put a kicker on. Would a 6hp suffice? I assume that the bigger you go, the lower the RPM's, but it's a balance to where weight and hp need to be.

Does a hand tiller or remote steer matter beyond personal preference?

I have a 1995 Evinrude 15 hp 4 stroke on a Grumman 18' aluminum boat. It is mounted on a heavy duty kicker bracket that I can raise and lower. I had a brace installed inside to strengthen the transom behind the kicker.  I use an EZ steer for steering leakage. I have to use a tie down to secure the motor from bouncing around on the road. I would have perferred to have a transom wide enough to mount the kicker directly on it and I wish I had a throtle at the helm. I typically troll at 3 t0 4.5 mph but it will go down to about 1.5 and up to about 8 or 10 mph. The 10hp at that time was only a little lighter (same block) and I got a deal on the 15 hp in 96'. What I don't like about it is that some parts are no longer available. It hasn't been an issue yet.

I think you should do ok with a 9.9. The 15 hp did come in handy for me a couple times when the main motor failed.

I have a 9.9 4-stroke for my 24' penn Yan and it is quiet and does a great job controlling the boat with some waves. I don't think you want to go over a 10hp for a smaller boat.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

One thing that I think is important is that whatever you decide on, it is best if the model sells in good numbers and it remains mostly unchanged for several years. This will insure better access to parts and service in the future, including aftermarket parts. You don't want to have to junk it because you just can't find a replacement part.