Copper depth vs speed

only one way to find out for shure ...grad you mask and fins ,,,see ya............im just a plummer but a good swirling toilet will pull the heavest of turds out and up before the bug gulp,my guess is it will raise up with speed,why i think ol FISHERMAN managed to plane off a 10 lb rigger with prob attached last year as he spead back to the dock.boy he must have cheep rigger cables as to break that easy

I got my data from the Fish Doctor and his depths for copper are at a 2.7MPH surface speed. Once you increase that to 3.1, similar to core, it will rise. Regardless, it still gets way deeper than core and it catches fish!

Clarke,

Based on my experience, you'll see 22' of depth for every 100' let out when trolling a spoon at 2.2-2.4 mph down speed. When you go to a flasher/fly rig it'll change to about 20' per 100' let out. Speed up and it'll rise even more. Be careful with that much out if you're trolling in 120-150FOW....on the inside of a turn it'll drop significantly and you can hang that puppy up pretty easily on the bottom.

Clarke,

Be careful with that much out if you're trolling in 120-150FOW....on the inside of a turn it'll drop significantly and you can hang that puppy up pretty easily on the bottom.

Do you know from experience? :lol::lol::lol::lol:

Waterlogged,

With a copper set-up you can get to bottom with 350 ft trolling at 2.2 mph

surface speed with a 3/4 to 1 oz. spoon in 120 fow. As for the 3.1 speed I think you'd have to spend all 600 ft and that would be iffy in over 120 fow at that speed coupled with the various currents in Ontario. But I use the copper set-up on the Fingers a little differently than they do on the big lake.

Splitshot115

• 1 month later...

Couldn't find this when I wanted to in order to help clarify the spedd vs. depth issue and have now located it.

At a 2.2 down speed your 600' .037 section can achieve 132' in the water column with an attractor/fly

approx. 22' down per 100' out

At a 2.2 down speed your 600' .037 section can achieve 156' in the water column with a spoon

approx. 26' down per 100' out

At down speeds faster (up to 2.7) your 600' .037 section can achieve approx. 108' – 120' in the water column with an attractor/fly approx 18'to 20' down per 100' out

If you happen to frequent a certain port you can get use to the currents and such. Each port is vulnerable to, taking into consideration under-currents and such these figures can change just a small amount or drastically.

These numbers are a great starting point, however remember, copper moves in the water column a great deal,

along with adding stealth to your presentations, coppers' ability to cover different water columns

after small speed changes, on turns and such can benefit your presentations greatly.

.037 copper is 45# and has a breaking strength of 30# test.