another

Dogs caught this yote.

IMG_20150101_110656.jpg

Listen - I'm not trying to be an a-hole here, but could you please enlighten/teach me how this works? Do the dogs hunt the coyote and fight it to the death or do they simply chase it down, tire it out and you shoot it? Your dogs look a little bloody in the picture.

Disclaimer: I am an avid hunter/outdoorsman and by no means a PETA activist/tree-hugger and I dislike coyotes as much as the next guy, but I'm just trying to understand what's going on in the picture. 

Thanks,

Chris

I see this "kill em all" attitude far too often about coyotes, and it's quite ignorant really. I understand that they kill deer as other game species, and I even hunt them myself, but if we were to kill all the coyotes we would have no deer to hunt soon after. A quote from Aldo Leopold "I now suspect that just as a deer herd lives in mortal fear of wolves, so does a mountain live in mortal fear of its deer. And perhaps with better cause, for while a buck pulled down by wolves can be replaced in two or three years, a range pulled down by too many deer may fail of replacement in as many decades" I am by no means trying to pick a fight with anybody here, or even against the hunting of coyotes, like if said, I hunt them myself. I just feel they deserve more respect than we give them. Personally, I do not dislike coyotes, but respect them as the area's top predator (next to humans of course) and understand tag they do need to be managed, but not eliminated. Just my two cents, have a safe and productive season.

Jeff

I too have wondered about how running them with dogs works too, I saw a bunch of people last Saturday getting ready to go out for them. Congrats on a successful hunt with the dogs, I know how proud I am of my hound when she runs a rabbit!

Edited by dawsonscreek

When people say "kill them all", they really mean shoot as many as you can. Coyotes are awesome and I have the utmost respect for them. Mange kills more fox and yotes than hunters and trappers ever do. Don't worry too much about the population of yotes, overpopulation is their biggest problem.

Different types of Hound hunting yotes. Some flush and chase and the hunters shoot. Others are bred and trained to run them down and kill them.

The group I hunt with are the flush and shoot type. I have never hunted with the other type but I respect what they do.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I personally know of at least 10 trappers in PA and NY that catch over 100 yotes a year each. Although that may sound like a lot, it has done nothing to reduce their numbers as they do it year after year. Tagged male coyotes have been known to travel over 200 miles after being booted from the den. They have established well enough that they can sustain losing that many every year.

A lot of those trappers provide the live coyotes used to train those dogs.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

You will NEVER hurt the coyote population.

To answer some questions, I either find a track and put my cold trail hound on until it is jumped or free cast them until it is jumped and put more dogs in. Guys get on watch and wait until they come thru and shoot it. Sometimes they miss and the coyotes run for awhile and tire and the dogs catch them. Some dont run at all.

I would say the worst predators to the animals listed above would be the Hawk. Yes Fox,Coyote, and Racoons hit them to, but once the Red Tail Hawk became protected that's when the numbers really began to drop.

Edited by JakeyBaby

I have a pair of redtail hawks that frequently sit on the roof of my house (one at a time) and they prey on the field mice and especially the voles that destroy a lot of things on my property. I've watched them often diving and coming up with nothing too...they don't have the easiest time of it finding food around here anyway. The Yotes however can be heard a lot of the time at night feeding/chasing what must be deer or rabbits out back. Last summer it was pretty eerie when I noticed the redtail sitting over the patio eyeballing my terrier perhaps just out of curiosity but I wasn't totally sure the way he was looking :lol:

Owls are worst had all kinds of rabbits training rabbits behind my house about sept. One night heard the bastard hooting next night same he never came back but wiped out my rabbit population I heard also they will go after Eagles nest when are people going to understand

Sent from my XT1030 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Grouse numbers are down because of loss of habitat, when there is less habitat predators have an easier time hunting. Grouse need early successional areas (ie shrubby) which are few and far between in most areas.

Pheasants are down because of loss of nesting habitat and somewhat winter cover. Not knocking farmers but its hard to raise a brood or get a nest hatched when they are cutting alfalfa in May. Before alfalfa, timothy grass was a main hay crop and that matured in June/July which gave the birds time to get a brood raised or mobile.

If we manage habitat better we would have more wildlife, but many people want mature woods for the timber value or a nice looking property (mowing too much). If we stop destroying habitat by just mowing a little less we might have more small game. My rant is from having neighbors with acres of property that have to mow all of it just so it "looks nice", they never use it for anything either.

Grouse numbers are down because of loss of habitat, when there is less habitat predators have an easier time hunting. Grouse need early successional areas (ie shrubby) which are few and far between in most areas.

Pheasants are down because of loss of nesting habitat and somewhat winter cover. Not knocking farmers but its hard to raise a brood or get a nest hatched when they are cutting alfalfa in May. Before alfalfa, timothy grass was a main hay crop and that matured in June/July which gave the birds time to get a brood raised or mobile.

If we manage habitat better we would have more wildlife, but many people want mature woods for the timber value or a nice looking property (mowing too much). If we stop destroying habitat by just mowing a little less we might have more small game. My rant is from having neighbors with acres of property that have to mow all of it just so it "looks nice", they never use it for anything either.

You hit the nail on the head! It's so easy to blame the coyotes and other predators, when our habitat (or lack thereof) is the true issue.

I fully agree with coyote hunting, although I feel modern hay harvesting techniques kill more deer then coyotes do.

Some fields will have 5 or 6 fawns killed at first hay cutting. Just look for the turkey vultures.