Lakers

This weekend was good to us with nice weather and some cooperative fish. We iced 7 lake trout, 10 perch, and around 80 smelt for both days. Most fish came on white and blue Halis or silver spoons. Three of the lakers came two feet down on tip ups set over deep water. The picture below is the biggest one of the weekend my buddy got this morning with one line in the water. 2 feet under the ice over 35'. 31 inches, ~10lbs. His personal best and one he won't forget for a while.

post-151174-14258617461214_thumb.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Nice fish and looks as though it may be a native one rather than a stocked fish. Cool! :yes:  You also are smart to run the lines "just under" as this time of year many fish are "cruising" looking for food - many folks make the mistake of setting too deep for them thinking they are always bottom oriented and not staggering their tip ups or running some at the top.

Nice fish and looks as though it may be a native one rather than a stocked fish. Cool! :yes: You also are smart to run the lines "just under" as this time of year many fish are "cruising" looking for food - many folks make the mistake of setting too deep for them thinking they are always bottom oriented and not staggering their tip ups or running some at the top.

Well we had them set for salmon or a rainbow but got three lakers on the three flags we got. Was a cool surprise because it's hard to tell size and I wasn't the one fighting the big one. I just grabbed it when it came up the hole. Took a picture and back she went!

• 2 weeks later...

This weekend was good to us with nice weather and some cooperative fish. We iced 7 lake trout, 10 perch, and around 80 smelt for both days. Most fish came on white and blue Halis or silver spoons. Three of the lakers came two feet down on tip ups set over deep water. The picture below is the biggest one of the weekend my buddy got this morning with one line in the water. 2 feet under the ice over 35'. 31 inches, ~10lbs. His personal best and one he won't forget for a while.

attachicon.gifImageUploadedByLake Ontario United1425861745.020222.jpg

That looks more like a splake its a little to dark for a laker

Very nice. It might of been the pic but I thought I saw the blue spots of a splake but it's still a very nice fish

I wish it was a splake. Would have been a dandy. The picture isn't great but the lake trout was extremely dark and had very bright spots.

• 2 weeks later...