U.S. Army C.o.E ice thickness guide

sparkyice

we all hear alot about ice thickness and safety, which is of course of grave concern. this info is the accepted standard of the U.S. military, if anyone would know i think it would be them.

be safe.

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/Districts/MVP/Reports/ice/safety.html

http://www2.mvr.usace.army.mil/WaterControl/Districts/MVP/Reports/ice/ice_load.html

Some real good information there. One additional thing I didn't see mentioned is the presence of gas pockets coming up from the bottom and on lakes such as Honeoye they can be a real danger because the surrounding ice may be fine and then all of a sudden you are in the water. They can be covered by snow and hard to impossible to detect. Another thing is where birds such as geese and ducks keep an area open for a time and it subsequently freezes over much thinner than the surrounding areas and may be then covered by snow so again hard to detect. 

Don't go out on the ice with out a compass  and know the direction you have to go to return to your starting point  If you have a GPS put in waypoints,You may have trouble with a GPS in a white out. If you get cought in a white out with out a compass stay put till it clears,it can save you a long walk. :) Have a safe season.

All great info, as usual. A guy I know could have used the ice chart yesterday. He was a bit overzealous about the cold and snow and gave his sled a bath up to the handlebars🙈. Lol. Ice is not quite ready for equipment yet in lake o, thousand islands area.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United