custom down riggers weights

What releases does everyone plan on using with these?  I've heard if you shouldnt attach anything to the tail hole on fish weights - they are supposed to track better if you have a release attached on the actual downrigger cable instead.

The only weights I've ever used releases directly on were the old Riveria's in the 70's which had built in releases.  I've primarily used Black's since that time but tried others on the downrigger cable as well. Just as an imaginary scenario just think about having your line twist around the release and then have the weight hang up on bottom as you forgot to loosen your drag on the reel properly and you rod ejects from the rod holder going south :lol:

Bikini, have you considered coming to the FLTA fishing tackle show in Watkins Glen on the 29 th? There are tables available, send me a pm and I can give you info on the guy to contact.

I would commit to buy, could use a 10 lber.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Mine were shipped on 2/27. Anxiously awaiting delivery...Gotta be patient I guess.

Do have a question. On the "other" shark weights, it says not to attach your release to the shark itself but to attach it to the line above so it doesn't affect the tracking. Does the same apply to these? Assuming it does but wanted to ask others who have used these.

Thanks and

Boat Safe

Egoody

I also need to let everyone who has purchased the weights know,Don't ever leave them laying on your vinyl seat in the sun !!! I did and the damn things stuck and ruined the seat cover.we don't store our lures in the sun so do the same with the weights and no worries. Thanks again to everyone. Made enough to get my new Garmin

Edited by bikinibottom

Mine were shipped on 2/27. Anxiously awaiting delivery...Gotta be patient I guess.

Do have a question. On the "other" shark weights, it says not to attach your release to the shark itself but to attach it to the line above so it doesn't affect the tracking. Does the same apply to these? Assuming it does but wanted to ask others who have used these.

Thanks and

Boat Safe

Egoody

So would blacks released be optimum for this application?

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Can they be adjusted to use on smaller fish such as walleye? Do they always have to be used with rubber bands? Thanks. Never used them before.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Yes they can be adjusted to any lbs, for a nice release on anything that swims in lakeO or any body of water. I use a trigger set scale to adjust mine and I used my daughters bright finger nail polish to mark the settings, use the slot in the screw and line up the predetermined lbs settings and align the slot with the marks and there you go. Also I don't use rubber bands with the blacks

I can't comment on the blacks release, but I've used used the Chamberlain release and swear by them. I also used the Roemers thy are why I went to the Chamberlains.

Just my opinion.

Thanks and

Boat Safe

Egoody