Global Warming?

Was just talking about this today in class with my kids. (they were whining about school not being closed)

Global warming causes changes to climate patterns. Some areas get wetter, some drier, some warmer, some colder, some more windy, some less. It doesn't mean the whole world gets warmer... It means that most places experience an intensifying of what they normally experience.

It's easy to make jokes when the wind chill is -10, but for the young guys out there, when was they last time there was enough snow built up on the ground for kids to carve tunnels under the snow and build forts? When I was a kid in the 60s my friends and I would dig elaborate labyrinths of tunnels in the snow drifts every year. Kenmore, where I grew up, actually had sidewalk plows so you could walk to school without having to walk on the streets - the snow would be built up so high you couldn't see over the top ( from a 4.5' tall kid's point of view)...

Now the snow falls and a week later it's gone. Look how fast the 7-8 foot drifts that socked in the Southtowns of Buffalo earlier this year disappeared... they were gone in 3 days. I'd call that pretty intense climate patterns...

Edited by John E Powell

John is right it is all about the global distribution of temperatures and moisture and the paths of the upper air currents (e.g. jet stream etc.). The standard traditional paths have changed and with it more variation in temps around the world and distribution of moisture and storm activity.  I don't think anyone can argue that this isn't happening (unless maybe a member of the flat earth society :lol:  but as far as the causation of it...that is open to debate (i.e. is it part of the long term variation of the Earth's climate  or perhaps due to carbon emissions worldwide or the decimation of the tropical rainforest or all of the above etc.)

Edited by Sk8man

i recently flew to seatle and back, my nose glued to the window of the plane the whole time. between here and the western great plains we were never out of sight of a billlowing smokestack.

anybody who believes humans are not having an effect on the climate is a fool. what it all means, i don't pretend to know, but we are damn sure changing our planet's climate.

i recently flew to seatle and back, my nose glued to the window of the plane the whole time. between here and the western great plains we were never out of sight of a billlowing smokestack.

anybody who believes humans are not having an effect on the climate is a fool. what it all means, i don't pretend to know, but we are damn sure changing our planet's climate.

Sorry, but you're wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Man's imprint on Global Warming is only about 1%, one natural disaster like when Mt St. Helen's eruption did more to damage the ozone layer then all the rest of the world s pollution into the atmosphere.The polar ice caps have actually been growing as well. Al Gore is wrong!

Edited by mostlymuskies

Hey John

Could you have the "climate change experts", "climate change modelers" work on a model to tell us where the chinooks will be next summer, ? Seems as though it would be a simple task for anyone who can develop a predictive model for the earths climate...  BTW, here's some informative reading: http://www.climatedepot.com/2014/08/27/geologist-rebuts-media-hyped-draft-of-new-un-ipcc-report-as-nonsense-totally-contrary-to-real-evidence/ .  And, if you're open to a divergence of thought, then here's some of the "other side" of the debate:  http://wattsupwiththat.com/ 

Link to one that isn't done by someone who's livelihood doesn't rely on perpetuating the hoax.

I do actually know something about the topic, not just pulling stuff out of my nether regions.  I have a degree in Physical Geography, for which Climatology was a major concentration of study, and a minor in geology, so this is actually something I've studied in detail.

Quick fact: the singly largest contributor of co to the atmosphere is:  The Oceans.  As soon as you can convince them to stop doing that, then maybe we can start talking about limiting the comparatively negligible contributions from mans activity.

Tim

Edited by Tim Bromund

The “hockey stick†has been broken, the “modified/substituted data†(read, the “outliers†tossed because they don’t fit the “modelâ€) has been fully exposed/documented, the “peer†agreement (let’s exchange emails to coordinate our results… crap, we got caught) exposed… OK, we’ll switch our tactics and thrown in “consensus†and “deniers†as our new mantra.

"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it." Thanks so much for making my point. Let’s see, the UN (read UN IPCC) and all “academia†experts do their work for free… no, wait, I stand corrected. Their salary comes from government grants and direct funding (assessments to member nations ring a bell). No crisis, no funding.

“Raising doubt in people's minds is the goal of some politicians motivated and supported by corporate greed.†Perfect… a man pulls back his robe for all to see. No political thought/motive in the global warming, ooops, climate change  â€œmovement†is there…?

If I were to make a choice between the effects of, say, clouds and man… I’ll go with clouds. Let me know when the first global cloud “modelâ€, predictor is available. But, I’d rather have the summer Chinook model 1st (and far more achievable)

Interestingly this subject just came with an announcement from The Japan Meteorological Agency stating the 2014 was the hottest year in more than 120 years of record keeping..NOAA is expected to make a similar call in the next few weeks..As is NASA...Can understand anyone up north insisting  its cold this winter..Check out how warm its been in the southern hemsphere, the last few years....Maybe to debate fairly all doubters produce their records and not their opinions..Also just heard sea bass are invading Jersey inland waters due to increase of water temps there..Somethings going guys and I fear its not for the best..