Video on rigging a planer board

Nice for those particular boards but you could lose a board if the offshore releases too. With the Church TX or Walleye boards you don't need multiple releases just crank down the original release and have the braid way back in the release jaw and take the board off on the way in. I don't let the board slide down the back pin and I also use roller tips on my rods so they aren't much to reel in anyway and haven't lost any fish this way either because the tension is pretty constant. Well done clearly presented video :yes:

Edited by Sk8man

The offshore board should never release from the back clip if you place the line behind the pin. Only way I have ever "lost" a board is if it dives and creates a ton of pressure. My question is will those releases on the front of the board release just as easy with mono than with braid ? Alot more stretch........

Edited by JakeyBaby

Sk8man I have lost a couple of boards over the years. When I first started fishing lead and copper in around 2005 we used church walleye boards and kept them engaged while fighting fish and I quickly realized that in my opinion it wasnt the right way to do it. I always felt that the pressure of the board wanting to pull the side created a false sense of pressure that made it hard for myself and others to tell how much pressure to keep on the fish. The great part about fishing is there is no 1 way to do things learn little here and there and apply what works for you. Thank you for the compliment on the video quality. 

JakeBaby I only use mono when i fish flat lines for steelhead or coho up on the surface. I still use the same releases with very little issues. Just adjust the little screw a little to allow for easy release. I mark my boards with a magic marker like mono/leadcore or copper that way I don't have to keep adjusting them. 

Good point....all my offshores have been the standard ones with the little thin plastic "pins" at the back of the jaw and I always figured they would be "sawed" through by the braid sliding back and forth

Good point....all my offshores have been the standard ones with the little thin plastic "pins" at the back of the jaw and I always figured they would be "sawed" through by the braid sliding back and forth

Why would you use braid anyway??? haha I absolutely hate it and removed it from everything except backer for coppers after one too many lost fish in 2014.  Can't get around it there for capacity issues.  Even still a section of 50# mono is tied in for the board release on those set-ups.  Braid is not friendly on any reel and swells and cuts into itself on the arbor ends. Braid = Perch fishing for me - that's it!  Braid ruins release pads too - as you say it does cut into them.  You would lose many many fish across the board on Lake Ontario fighting the board.  From Walleye, Browns, Steelhead, to Salmon - you will easily lose 25-40% of your fish directly as a result of using an inline and fighting it to the boat.  I have buddies out of my port that only use inlines and I can't stand fishing on their boats because of all the fish that are lost using inlines.  Big boards are still the way to go and that's why so many of us use them, but in 3-4'+ waves the in-lines come back into play.  Mono all the way... embrace the stretch!!!

Edited by FleetTracker

I hear you Fleet but I used big boards from 1975 or so until a few years ago when I switched to the inlines and braid and I still prefer my outriggers to both. For whatever reason I don't lose fish on them and I don't have to dick around with the mast and all the other space taking stuff and they are easier to transport. As you mention the stretch component...I used to lose fish because of it with the big boards and mono. At the end of the day it is whatever works for you and you feel most comfortable with. I will say I have learned to keep my TX 44 boards closer to the boat and run the Walleye boards and yellow birds at the extreme outside and with the 44's I don't stop reeling close to the boat as they can dive and that can be a problem if it happens. I run mostly spoons and sticks off my boards anyway and run my flashers spinneys and meat "clean" with dipseys and coppers and leadcores clean most of the time so I don't have the high degree of pull on the boards like some folks either.

Edited by Sk8man

Why would you use braid anyway??? haha I absolutely hate it and removed it from everything except backer for coppers after one too many lost fish in 2014. Can't get around it there for capacity issues. Even still a section of 50# mono is tied in for the board release on those set-ups. Braid is not friendly on any reel and swells and cuts into itself on the arbor ends. Braid = Perch fishing for me - that's it! Braid ruins release pads too - as you say it does cut into them. You would lose many many fish across the board on Lake Ontario fighting the board. From Walleye, Browns, Steelhead, to Salmon - you will easily lose 25-40% of your fish directly as a result of using an inline and fighting it to the boat. I have buddies out of my port that only use inlines and I can't stand fishing on their boats because of all the fish that are lost using inlines. Big boards are still the way to go and that's why so many of us use them, but in 3-4'+ waves the in-lines come back into play. Mono all the way... embrace the stretch!!!

I am just the opposite. I use braid religiously and have lost only 4 fish all at the boat from operator error. I also never allow anyone to adjust drag ever on my boat unless it's my one veteran fishing buddy that taught me how to fish walleye.

Mono deteriorates too quickly and breaks easily. I can get easy 5 seasons or more out of my braid.

One thing I do the same is big boards. The only time I fish inlines are when I fish by myself.

Just like wire, it is always a good idea to let out your braid and reel it back in under tension so it lays on the spool tight with no binding.  You can do this on the water with a 1 lb ball, a dipsy or at home at the local school sports field (attach a swivel to chainlink fence and walk 800' back...and crank it back in tight).  If you rely on how the braid lays on the reel the first time you loaded it......you will be very disappointed.

• 1 month later...

Why would you use braid anyway??? haha I absolutely hate it and removed it from everything except backer for coppers after one too many lost fish in 2014. Can't get around it there for capacity issues. Even still a section of 50# mono is tied in for the board release on those set-ups. Braid is not friendly on any reel and swells and cuts into itself on the arbor ends. Braid = Perch fishing for me - that's it! Braid ruins release pads too - as you say it does cut into them. You would lose many many fish across the board on Lake Ontario fighting the board. From Walleye, Browns, Steelhead, to Salmon - you will easily lose 25-40% of your fish directly as a result of using an inline and fighting it to the boat. I have buddies out of my port that only use inlines and I can't stand fishing on their boats because of all the fish that are lost using inlines. Big boards are still the way to go and that's why so many of us use them, but in 3-4'+ waves the in-lines come back into play. Mono all the way... embrace the stretch!!!

Ditto that... still having trouble convincing myself to use inlines. Love the big boards.

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Thanks for the ideas guys, I was trying to work the problem out in the back of my gray matter and this certainly helped - nothing sucks worse than fighting a diving board and a fish at the same time.

Bob