Auto pilot

rlconverse

Any suggestions on what auto pilot works best with a humminbird 859? We really need to get one for our tournamnet boat but dont know enough about them

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Any suggestions on what auto pilot works best with a humminbird 859? We really need to get one for our tournamnet boat but dont know enough about them

Sent from my LG-D631 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I rigged my ray up to interface with my ray ff and in 2 years I haven't used it. And 90% of everyone else will say the same. In the end I just want the boat to drive straight. Point it at the next waypoint and go.

X2 with silver's comment. Just not having to keep boat running straight leaves much more time to working the rods. Also keeps hard feelings at bay with any less experienced drivers. Makes for a much more relaxing day on the lake which is what I strive for. Work is hard enough. Don't care if I catch a fish but I love when I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I rigged my ray up to interface with my ray ff and in 2 years I haven't used it. And 90% of everyone else will say the same. In the end I just want the boat to drive straight. Point it at the next waypoint and go.

Excellent comment from SF - there are always 50,000 extra things you can do with all of these things (look at your fish finder for example) yet it's all about convenience and keeping the boat straight. I have a Raymarine Smartpilot and absolutely love it, love it, love it. When fishing with two guys (or solo) it is the best thing I have ever put on my boat. It can drive straighter than I can any day.

Good luck,

Chris

I do have my Simrad AP14 linked to my Garmin Plotter, but the only time I use it to navigate is when a fog rolls in.  I have a waypoint saved on the GPS that is 60 yds from the Olcott pierheads.  Even when I can't see the shoreline through the fog, the AP takes me right back to port. (at a speed reasonable for the conditions of course) :)

Just do your research on them and what's appropriate for your size and type of vessel. I went with a raymarine sport pilot for my 24' grady. Installed system my self and it works great even down to 1.7 mph. Its not interfaced with my Elite 5 because that was bought when they first came out and cant be connected like the later models. Really not needed as long as I can keep boat running straight when I'm working the rods. Good luck in your search.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I  have has the RayMarine x5  like noted in Silver Fox reply.   Position of Fluxgate compass is critical.as far as distance away from the boat compass and position on the boat.   The comment about changing the sensitivity setting when in different waters is necessary but a good feature to allow you to keep the pilot engaged in rough waters.  I can fish my Grady Overnighter by myself with the auto pilot so I highly recommend it.  My only issue with Ray Marine is the super sensitive voltage sensor.   You must wire it directly to a fully charged battery and keep it fully charged or it will drop out frequently. I have had a lot of nuisance drop outs last season even though I thought I had it wired correctly.  Going to  run new cable this year to see if it helps.