Casting reels

I'm looking to pick up a couple new reels and wondered if anyone has tried the shimano curado 300? I'm very partial to shimano and wanted the Tranx, but its just not in my price range and the curado is. The other option is a round reel but I was looking for faster retrieve reel. I also wanted 1 right and 1 left so fatigue isn't such an issue. I'd appreciate any feedback on any shimano casting reels you've tried on muskies or tigers.

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Fatigue for me comes from a reel combo that out of balance (tip heavy) as far as speed ratio it would be related to the lures your going to use when I am using glide baits I prefer a low ratio

to keep the presentation slow (when your drifting off you do not over power the bait) a spinner I like high speed (If you specis a 4-1 is about 24" to revoution and a 6-1 is 28-30")  All my reels are left handed ( I am right handed) With todays reels you do not have to dump the magnetics I like revo and the diawa 300 series pretty resonable pricing I do have shamiano but do not use it much. trolling reels I like as fast as I can get

I would respectfully suggest that you should reconsider your Tranx decision. Yes it will cost a pretty penny but if you shop around you will find a difference in pricing. I bought mine from Japan Tackle over the internet through EBAY and am still happy. It is worth it! Combine the reel with an 8 foot + rod you will be able to achieve great distance. I am unhappy though when I remember some of the mark ups I found at local retailers here in Canada. As consumers we all can be pretty gullible. After paying customs fees the reel was still cheaper coming from the US! You don't have to pay custom fees! The Tranx is a lifetime purchase and you won't regret it!

Have been using the reel for over two years and thoroughly enjoy it.

My other reel is the Shimano Conquest which is a souped up version of the Calcutta. Another great bait caster that works really well. I use it for my lighter musky lures. I like having multiple set ups ready to go so I can give fish a different presentation from time to time. My only problem with the Calcutta is that its instructions arrived in Japanese because the reel was made for their home market. Now I see that Shimano is starting to market the Conquest in North America.

With regard to the Shimano Curado I would like to say that it too has an excellent reputation. One of the guides I know who fishes heavily here in Lake of the Woods, says that that this is also is an excellent reel. He has it on a couple of his rods and promotes it. (As an aside I would note my friend guides every year a group of gentlemen from Japan who are executives at Shimano.)

Good luck with your decision and best wishes for the new year!

jim

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I have a calcutta 200d and a calcutta 100te. Both are great reels. Light,compact,smooth and never backlash.(unless you hook your net while casting or hit a tree) they both hold about 75 yards of 65 lb braid. The te broke once but i had it back from their service center in under a week. The 200d seems indestructible.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

post-142867-14212862466256_thumb.jpgthis is an abu garcia ambassadeur 6000. About $50.00 at wal mart ten years ago. It's too big,too heavy,holds too much line and has no thumb bar. However, it performs every bit as well as my calcuttas at a fraction of the cost.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

I have about a dozen different baitcasters around the house, but none of them hold enough line to throw that eel you left me!  Short of surf rods that is....on Otisco we usually throw lighter stuff on lighter gear.  Even with an easy lob I cast all or nearly all the line off....bass reels.

Mike mentioned above the Daiwa 300, I've had my Lexa 300 for a full season now and love it. I am also a Shimano guy but you can almost get two Lexas (~$130) for the price of a curado (new vs new).

If you only want shimano, get a curado 301/300EJ. For casting I like the low profile reels, much easier to use all day long. From what I've heard (I reel lefty so I haven't actually looked at te tranx) a used tranx can go as low as $350 on eBay.