Sackett's area

MooseKnuckle VI

Looking for some clarity. I think I finally found a camp to buy up near Sacketts. It's on Black River Bay. First off, how far of a ride is it from Dexter by boat to get on some Salmon and browns in Big O? How far of a ride out to Galloo Island? Whats the best bait shop near Sacketts? What and where is this golden crescent I read about? What are "crabs" in terms of bait? Where's some good general areas for certain times of the year to fish for LMB, SMB walleye and pike? If we want to troll for salmon and browns, would it be better to just trailer the boat down somewhere or just take the boat right from camp? Same question if I want to fish Chaumont. The camp is up toward the top of the Black River Bay. Any free places to tie up or dock in Sacketts if the wife wants to go for dinner? Is Sacketts a fun place to hang out in the summer? Good bars/restaurants, things to do? I have an 18' alum deep v with a 150 4 stroke. runs at 45 wide open, cruises at 35. Is this boat big enough for the ride out to Galloo Island or does that area get rough? Where are the best ramps to use for that area? What about duck & goose hunting? Anything and everything you could tell me about the area would be great. I'd be mainly fishing for bass and walleye except for the occasional salmon trips. I can switch my boat around pretty quick with to troll with riggers and dipseys, but I enjoy bassin the most. One last thing, this camp has a water holding tank. Anybody know a company that delivers water or a place i could fill a 300 gal tote up for cheap? I'd consider rigging up a lake feed for showers and just brining my drinking water up.

Thanks a bunch!!!

Sent from my iPad using Lake Ontario United

I have a summer cottage in Henderson Harbor right around the corner from Sacketts so I will take stab at some of your questions..

how far of a ride is it from Dexter by boat to get on some Salmon and browns in Big O? I have never fished salmon and browns up there, but I know in the spring browns are all around Stoney and Galloo islands. Salmon in the summer I think you would need to fish the trench (in between Stoney and the High Banks) or the shipping lanes (several miles out past Galloo), I have never fished either of these areas though. 

How far of a ride out to Galloo Island? This is obviously dependent on lake conditions. Flat water you can get out there in maybe 15-20 minutes

Whats the best bait shop near Sacketts? Henchens Marina in Henderson Harbor is my go to. 

What and where is this golden crescent I read about? Not sure??? Never heard that term. 

What are "crabs" in terms of bait? Softshell crabs, smallmouth love them, so do the gobies...... keep them off the bottom or you will be cleaned out pretty quickly.

Where's some good general areas for certain times of the year to fish for LMB, SMB walleye and pike? I fish mostly for smallmouth. Opening weekend you can find them in most any rocky areas 8-20 ft deep. Lots of shoals around there to fish, lots of structure. Come summer time they can be found on deep structure from 20' all the way to 50' deep and maybe even deeper. Black river probably has some good weedy areas for largemouth and maybe some pike but I really dont have experience up there. 

Is Sacketts a fun place to hang out in the summer? Good bars/restaurants, things to do? Yes!!! Very popular and fun place to hang out. Lots of restaurants and bars, shops, ice cream.... They usually have 4th of july fireworks as well, gets pretty packed in there. 

I have an 18' alum deep v with a 150 4 stroke. runs at 45 wide open, cruises at 35. Is this boat big enough for the ride out to Galloo Island or does that area get rough? Yes this boat can definitely make it Gallo, I fish Galloo every opening weekend in an 18' bass boat. You have to watch the weather and the forecast. Its usually nice and calm in the morning but can get ugly quick. I have gotten bounced around a bunch of times coming back in from the Galloo and Stoney.

Anybody know a company that delivers water or a place i could fill a 300 gal tote up for cheap? I'd consider rigging up a lake feed for showers and just brining my drinking water up. We have lake water for showers and toilets, gotta bring fresh water up to drink. Works pretty well, gotta take it out for the winter and replace parts every couple years, but it does the job. 

MooseKnuckleVI.....I've caught smallies and pike all around Henderson Bay area. Not targeting them also a handful of 'eyes. Outside of the bay around Ray and Gravely bays and anywhere in the main lake out of the Henderson bay itself can be had lakers and browns fairly easily. Many others live and fish these areas more frequently than I do. If I can pick up these fish easily in the spring summer and fall months, anyone can. And I have used smaller boats with less powerful motors and done well. Just keep very close eyes on weather, particularly wind speeds and directions and any t-storm activities and it will be fish on!

Chaumont bay can be very productive as well.  I think you picked a good spot for a camp - Kinda central to all that excellent fishing.  Can't cover it all in one day.  That's what I find most enticing.  Most people probably think of walleye fishing in that area but I believe that it is loaded with other opportunities as well.  Wish I could get up that way more often.

There use to be a bait shop right in Dexter, next to the launch.

cool thanks everyone!! I like to fish for pike and bass but I won't be upset catching walleye. My buddies like to troll for browns lakers and salmon. It's ok, but I'd rather be casting all day nailing smallies. Heard that's a big time duck and goose hunting area. I never hunted birds but it sounds fun. Hopefully everything works out and I get a place up there. Can't wait for spring.

If you want to trailer there is a very nice launch on the south end if Henderson. It's really close to rt 3 so easy to get to.

Sacketts has a long wall you can tie up to if you boat in. They also have a small ramp if you want to trailer.

Both areas are beautiful.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Lake Ontario United mobile app

is the wall to tie up to right between the two ramps in sacket's? is it free parking? do any of those restaurants have docks to pull up to? I was up there last weekend to look around and really liked it. We ate at good fellows, good food! I see two marinas on google satellite maps. do either of those have fuel/bait/boat stuff?

is the wall to tie up to right between the two ramps in sacket's? is it free parking? do any of those restaurants have docks to pull up to? I was up there last weekend to look around and really liked it. We ate at good fellows, good food! I see two marinas on google satellite maps. do either of those have fuel/bait/boat stuff?

Parking is free. A couple restaurants near the launch might have docking but I'm not sure. Navy Point has fuel.

Oh and Goodfellow's has awesome food.