Bait caster over Spinning Reel?

I personally prefer spinning gear over baitcasters. It all comes down to personal choice. For me the spinning gear has a smoother drag and you don't need to adjust the clutch every time you switch to different baits. I grew up on spinning gear and switch baits alot when bass fishing

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Depends what type of fishing your are doing...

Casting jigs to Smallmouth.......spinning gear

Casting in heavy wind...............spinning gear

Casting light weight lures..........spinning gear

Using light line...........................spinning gear

Casting crankbaits/heavy stickbaits......baitcaster

Casting/flipping around cover or docks....baitcaster

Casting bait with a bobber...................baitcaster

Vertical jigging spoons  ...............baitcaster

Using a Carolina rig.....................baitcaster

Drifting 3-way rigs   ..............baitcaster

what did I leave out guys?

Thank you guys for responding! It sounds like for the most part I should get myself a bait caster. I mostly do everything Gill T described for baitccaster. I also agree with you "bout time" that I'd rather not change up the clutch everytime I switch baits tho? Is a baitcaster worth having for what I do?

I got a baitcaster a few years back and after a little learning curve you will find them very easy to use. If you spend one day casting large spiner baits or large crank baits you will instantly see the benifit. Its not a need, but it is nice to have

Thanks tlr426! I'll think about it since it's not a nessesicty. Ill pick one up and see how I like it, after alittle thinking of course.

Get a Cabelas Visa card and earn points. You could end up with a free reel.

Good summary, Gill-T. The only thing I would add is if you take less experienced people fishing, the levelwind will result in far less line twist. Drifting for Smallmouth or Steelhead is commonly done with spinning rods, but often result in the angler reeling against the drag, or mistiming when they should grab line. If they can grasp the levelwind, they can crank until "butter is made" and no harm done. If they do this with a spinning reel, you will be untangling knots and cutting back.

Hey FF, Welcome to LOU! As you can see, there are a lot of very good anglers here who are willing to help a new guy enjoy our great sport. You can use the search function to find old posts on a topic of interest, or start a new topic like you did here. We all help each other here, and as a result, everyone benifits.

Your first task as a new LOU member is to re-spool my downrigger reels.... I"m getting too old to crank all that line back on with no fish attached......  I'll catch up with you soon.

J.D.      ( U/J )

Edited by J.D.