First Mate

There is no one answer to this. When the mate is a son or grandson, sometimes they start very young. Otherwise generally not younger than 16. Requirements are energetic, eager to learn, ability to get along with a myriad of different personalities, reliable, safety minded, capable of taking instruction, capable of handling constructive criticism. Sense of humor ius very handy.

Just wanted to add and you may already have it but you might want confirm the boaters certificate when operating a vessel. I'm thinking a captain might want you to have that especially if you have your own. You can do a quick search on nys boating regs to help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

The one thing is that you will need your parents to sign off for your pre-employment drug test for random drug testing program and if you get called to take a drug test before turning 18 they would need to sign off again.I do not know where you live, but a few charter Captian's out of Barcelona Harbor & Dunkirk Harbor are looking for help every summer.As the Pres. of E.L.E.C.B.A. I will most likely get asked in May again this year if I know of anyone.Send me a private email with contact info and I will find out for you what is available after I come back from Guyana South America in early March, leaving to there next week to guide in the rain forest.

Edited by mostlymuskies