Line counter reels

X2 for the Saltist, like Brian said, smoothest drags, and fast retrieves! Had Tekotas, had to send them out for new drags.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Interesting.

Why did you need to send them out for new drags?

Drag washers are very easy to replace and I got 10 + seasons of heavy use on around 8 of mine with no issues.

Edited by spoonfed-1

Not sure Glen, but had 4 within 1 year use and 1 of those out of the box. Terrible!!! To say the least, puts a bad taste in your mouth when you spend that amount on a reel for it to have junk drags. Was not sending them back to Shimano, sent out to tuna tom, came back and they were nice.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Looking for reviews on some line counter reels. I use Okuma 30 series now and had pretty good luck with them. But thought about upgrading .

Not sure what your using now... connectors?

Okuma Cold Waters are a good upgrade and the Okuma Catalinas are the best money can buy.

Sent from my E6782 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

im with tyee,im going to add some convectors this year,but to be honest,i have 3 seasons on my magdas   and only have had 1 go bad.you can buy 3 or 4 magda for the price of a takota or saltist.you said you have done well with the ones you have,why change?if anything,send the ones you have to tuna toms and have him go through them.it will be alot cheaper than buying new reels!!!!

The Saltist are awesome! But I bought 2 Daiwa SG57LC last year and they are about $80 cheaper. They are the LC version of the seagate 50. Fast 6.1 ratio, huge capacity, tournament drag and big opening for swivels to fit through. I really like them! And they don't have the line counter on the side (which is the only thing I don't like about the Saltist).

X2 on the Diawas (Bazooka Joe)  and the line counter in the awkward position ( can dig into your wrist) of the Saltist steered me away from them despite them being great reels with excellent retrieval rates and good drags. I've had a dozen Diawa 47H's (non line counters) for 30 plus years (without servicing and many salmon and trout) and they still work great. I had a Okuma Convector right out of the box that didn't work but some Magda Pro 45's that work very well despite being a less "expensive" real. I don't think you can go wrong with Diawas.

Edited by Sk8man

We will have just about every Great Lakes trolling reel available on our website in the next week or so, ALL will come standard with upgraded carbon fiber drags.   Stay tuned for announcements..  We will also have the new Okuma 55LS, which is a Convector 55L with the Clarion hi speed system...but for Convector prices....they will be available end of March early April.   These will not be easy reels to get, limited supply.

Edited by bloodruntackle

I have run tekotas for years. I got a couple of them with sticky drags out of the box. I bought a couple of diawa saltists and tried them. it is a nice reel but I could not read the line counter and I hated the line counter placement. I had carbon x drags put in the tekotas and love them.

I have 8 Daiwa 57 LCs and for what I do ,they are all I need.With my oversized (4xxl) hands,I sometimes hit the counter and reset to 0 while letting the dipsy diver out. For charter boat needs, the expensive ones usually are the cheapest because they last much longer while in heavy use often in the hands of over excited and under experienced clients.

You should see how much fishing you do and going with that knowledge you should set your requirements.

The Daiwa SG57 is 42.9 inches/crank. Saltist LC is 35 (except the 40 which is 47.2). Convector 30 is 24. The Saltist seems to have more torque. But an almost too quiet clicker. The clicker on a Convector can be heard a mile away. Which I like. It's also the least expensive. I've used all of them. And I'm going to add a few more of the 57's this year. I like the capacity and large opening. An SPRO copper swivel barely fits through a 30 Saltist. I run lead cores in the spring. And sea flee or FF in the summer on the same reels.

Edited by BAZOOKAJOE

• 1 year later...

im with tyee,im going to add some convectors this year,but to be honest,i have 3 seasons on my magdas and only have had 1 go bad.you can buy 3 or 4 magda for the price of a takota or saltist.you said you have done well with the ones you have,why change?if anything,send the ones you have to tuna toms and have him go through them.it will be alot cheaper than buying new reels!!!!

same situation as me, I have 4 magdas and one has gone bad. Replacing it this year. Saltiest is at top of list at the moment but the tekotas and cold water are up there too in that order Edited by Adk1

I've been running the Diawa Sealine 47H's for a number of years with excellent results. Unfortunately, no line counters.Two years ago I bought 2 Okuma Convector CV 45D with the line counters which are reasonably priced and I haven't had any issues with. This year I just bought 2 Diawa Sealine 27LC reels. I haven't seen anyone review these. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks and Boat Safe,

Egoody

I'm with Bazooka Joe on the Diawa 57LC's I have 2 of the SG57LC3b's and I love them. High speed, 6 to1 gear ratio, come with a power handle, good line capacity, sleek profile compared with bulkier Okumas, 20 lb carbon fiber drag system. I also have the somewhat smaller SGLC473b's which are also really good reels but they have a 4.2 to 1 gear ratio, 24 inch line take up vs. 40 inches on the 57 and a 15 lb carbon fiber drag and quite a bit less line capacity (but they hold the 1,000 ft of wire with room to spare). It has performed flawlessly as a wire rig with a number of large salmon and steelies trying to exploit it.  I have 3 Okuma 45DX's and they have also performed well but they are not up to the caliber of the Diawa's but they aren't in that price range either. I had a Convector which didn't function (no drag) right out of the box. I have never had a problem of any kind with the Diawa reels (dozen 47H's for over 30 years).

Edited by Sk8man

• 2 weeks later...

I've used Accudepth, Sealine, Penn 209, Shakespeare (older 70's model), Magdas, and Convectors. I now only have Convector 20s and 30s. I like the handle and crank mechanisms. Seems very solid compared to the Cheaper Diawa models and Okuma Magdas.

This year I just bought 2 Diawa Sealine 27LC reels. I haven't seen anyone review these. Does anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks and Boat Safe,

Egoody

I have a couple of 27s and 47s, they're great for the price. Only reason I have 47s for the Finger Lakes are the extra room for leadcore if I want. I have them spooled with 30# and 50# braid and put them away when the fleas show up. Only drawback is the gear ratio, think it's only about 24" per turn on both of them.

Edited by hermit