Add a swivel to Spoons?

Do yourself a favor, field test it, I believe you will be suprised at the results as the fish will notice the difference, not you. They won't lye to ya.

Good advice - I will honestly give it a try. My catch rates are quite good, but I would love any edge I can get to make them better.

I will keep you posted.

Cheers,

Chris

Im on record. I use split rings on all my spoons. I do not think it improves my catch rate. Nor does it decrease. It does help to protect my investment. We buy fifty spoons every winter. In the last four years, none of the 200 spoons we have have lost any paint. We fish 25 to 30 full days each season. Our catch rate is between 600 to 650 every year. That did fall to 470 last year, but im not blamin that on a ring.

Every spoon has it's sweet spot.  Bend them, try different hooks, different swivels etc. etc. and find the result you like.  I remember seeing Capt. Jerry's Evil Eye modifications in the water for the first time.  Jerry makes an evil eye walk-the-dog side to side in a snapping motion to get browns to bite.

http://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=I%27m+Prove+Lure+Action&Form=VQFRVP#view=detail&mid=D55679B67D1974EE3F18D55679B67D1974EE3F18

Didn't have too much time to listen but thought if someone was truly bored and wanted to prove to the group what had better action here you go....

Fantastic stuff! Looked like some split rings in there.......lol.

I think Gill-T hit the nail on the head.  It makes we wonder if I should be paying more attention to tuning my spoons by bending them a little more if they go cold?

Thanks for sharing Frogger,

Chris

Ah Baitrigger you are missing out.  If you are not bending the cup on a Michigan Stinger Mag you are missing bites.....just an example.  Conversely, I don't touch a Stinger Stingray size....works perfect to me :yes:

Edited by Gill-T

Manufacturers send their spoons out tested and tuned. i don't mess with them out of the package, I don't think they'd ship their spoons out to people expecting to catch something with them only to find out they need to add something to it so it produces...idk just my opinion.

I wouldn't over think it guys. A swivel with a rounded snap seems to work just fine. Been field testing for years and when manipulating the variables and collecting the data....not much statistical variation. Only conclusion I have come to is that Salmon are suckers for chunks of metal that flop back and forth.

My analysis of this thread is that fishermen are more finicky than the fish........not that there is anything wrong with that!!

• 3 weeks later...

I may be alone here but replace the M. stinger with an FLT spoon for me any stinger that has caught fish  has had all the tape ripped off within a single season.  The only ones that i have that are not just blanks have never taken a fish for me.   I am not willing to spend money to replace a spoon that i havent lost.  I have a bunch of NKs from the 80s abd 90s that hold up just as well I dont know what it is about modern spoons but I have problems.  even the couple DWs i have bought have started to peel just not as fast as the stingers.  All that said smallest swivel possible on the lure straight out of the package however it comes.

I know what you are saying, it bugs us all but after spending a month in The Keys fishing and going through an average of 5-6 boxes of chum per trip at $6.00 per box just to pull the fish to the boat, I figure that having the paint fail on a $6.00 spoon that catches a few fish is not as big a deal as we sometimes make it. I am more annoyed at spoons that don't catch fish, as I have quite a collection of them. Lol