Float fishing the genny

About 5 years ago I got a charter with a buddy of mine on the niagria river in February .Was thinking about taking me 13 foot whaler up the genesee river and float down it bottom bouncing either some flies or egg sacks for steelhead does anybody have any ideas about this. Thanks guys

After thaw have to worry about being blown out.  Swing by Mt morris (avatar says Dansville) if possible to check water conditions before planning that.  A river jet might be a good choice for a vessel too.  i have seen these up by the falls.  Good luck.  Sounds like it would be a fun trip.

Check the charts for flow rates and turbidity that are on the USGS site over looking at the river in Mt Morris.  There are a lot of creeks that can mud her up between Rochester and Mt Morris. 

Oops. After mention of the Niagara I assumed he was after lake run fish. Don't know much about the genny that far south.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I think he does mean lake run.  I assumed he was putting in at the channel and running upstream towards the falls.  We mention MT morris because he is from Dansville- easy to check water quality below letchworth than driving all the way up to irondequoit. 

usgs reports at the ford street bridge can give you all the flow info you need pertinent to the area you will be fishing. However it doesn't tell you when the river is ice free and navigable. Just ask around on here from time to time. Also be prepared for here to blow out for a week at a time.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was talking about lake run fish sorry I didn't mention that.Also when we fished the mistrial river in February it had ice on it, all broken up and the guide drove right through it I couldn't believe it. that's when I gained a lot of respect for Lund boats

Will be a while before you get a boat up there again...multiple times have gone up river smashing and banging through skim ice...lots of fun!!!

Until the day my buddies outboard fell off the transom banging through ice...gas line alone kept it from sinking but we got it back and motored to the ramp...didnt stop us from going again...