Crossbow

Dylan585

I'm looking at getting a crossbow for deer. I want it to be under $500. I don't really care about draw weight as long as it has ample strength to take down a deer. Does anyone have any suggestions?

I purchased a Barnett ( Buck Commander)  a few years ago to hunt in Ohio with for less than 400.00 all rigged with scope and bolts,  thought it was a good deal, shot flawless, however....... I wasn't smart enough to figure out prior to getting it how much it weighed and how hard and cumbersome it was to carry in and out of the woods.  I would find out the weight, how it feels when holding it upright ( mine is heavy as hell), and how does it carry with a sling......  Not sure if you can stay less than 500 for those accomidations but man if I had to buy another one, those are the things I would be looking for.

My dad bought a a Barnett Raptor this and shot 2 deer with it at 40 and 50yds. I borrowed it and filled my buck tag with it at 15yds. The bow performed well. I also had a chance to shoot My father in laws Ten Point crossbow and its a way better quality bow for sure and worth the extra $500 bucks you pay for them. We also just shoot the standard Muzzy 100gr broad heads on both bows and they perform the same as the so called cross bow broad heads. So you don't need to buy extra broad heads. I'm going to buy a Ten Point my self. But If you can only afford the Barnett Raptor it should definitely get the job done for you.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I don't know what the name of the crossbow is, but knowing my brother in law it's one of the top of the lines bows. It has pulleys and cables, so it isn't a recurve Barrnett, but the bow sounds like a 22 short going off. I don't know if a deer could jump the string with the bolt flying at 350fps?

Barnett kryptonite

Google it and Google it's reviews.

I bought this model this season and it has worked great !!!!

It was on sale at field n stream and it definitely knocks deer down at 370 fps with plenty of energy.

Nothing but excellent reviews and Barnett stands behind there product and sells parts for them if need be in the future.

So it's not a "throw away " unit.

Check them out. I shot mine in the store and was very pleased. Also comes with lighted retical scope with circles and lines to 70yds.

By far very happy with mine after a full Xbow season!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

• 3 weeks later...

A friend of mine works at Cabela's in the archery dept. By far the ten pt is the best but also the most pricy. One thing he pointed out to me is a crank to bring the string back. He said it is possible with all hand pull bows to get the string not set in the same place every time with a hand pull to set it, whereas the crank pull back sets the sting in the exact place every time. Con adds weight, pro would allow you to get a second shot with out a lot of movement and much easier to set, only 5# needed to crank it back

I would have to say the Crosman sniper 370 is a very good crossbow has an adjustable stock and and allows you to decock the crossbow and is definitely 1 to check out on the reviews

Sent from my XT1585 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

I was looking at those and wondering how good they were do you have one or ever shot one just wondering

Sent from my Z981 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

• 4 months later...