spinning reel for 9ft 6inch fenwick salmon/steelhead med/fast

Nice rod, I use a Stradic which is bullet proof, I'v seen way to many pflueger's break after a couple of years. I fish all winter and never have issues with my stradic, I keep the drag on the light side because the start-up is not great. The Sustain has a sweeter drag with the bearing but is getting up there in price.

thanks for the reply. i am a shimano man myself but cant really afford them anymore. i dont want to spend $200 or more for a reel if possible. i fish many species in which i i have any rods and reels. so it gets  a little expensive. what stradic model do you have and what lb test line does it take. are you happy with the drag system? those are  my concerns since i will be using this rod on ontario or tributaries and the larger rivers near lake champlain. i was just looking at the pfleuger supreme which is a step up from the president. would that be a better choice. im going to research the stradic now and see what price range there in. where and what do you fish for all winter? what rod do you have the stradic on?

the Sahara is a good choice as well, like I've said before I have seen to many pfluegers fail for me to have any confidence in there products. I have a Sahara utralight and it's been a good reel, no problems, nice for ice fishing 

Edited by canadadude

the Sahara is a good choice as well, like I've said before I have seen to many pfluegers fail for me to have any confidence in there products. I have a Sahara utralight and it's been a good reel, no problems, nice for ice fishing 

thanks ill probably make my decision this week. i noticed that shimano reels dont normally go on sale anywhere so ill take a look at ebay.

Stradic is a great reel!

I agree, this is the 4th winter I've been drifting trout with mine and have yet to have a break down, need to chip the ice off the roller every once in awhile hahahaah, but that reel just keeps on going, never any problems. It's worth the little extra $$$$$, lots of other higher end reels loose the anti-reverse or bog right out in the cold, not the Stradic, it's bullet proof

I agree, this is the 4th winter I've been drifting trout with mine and have yet to have a break down, need to chip the ice off the roller every once in awhile hahahaah, but that reel just keeps on going, never any problems. It's worth the little extra $$$$$, lots of other higher end reels loose the anti-reverse or bog right out in the cold, not the Stradic, it's bullet proof

sounds like your a frostbiter also. tough conditions and we need a tough reel. my fenwick rod and the reel will be used exclusivly in early spring fall and winter mostly in rivers and off shore lake fishing where its ice free. i have checked my reels that i have bought in the past few years still in boxes and i have a cabelas verona also a cabelas tournament and my wife has a pflueger president that i bought for her a few years ago so it looks like im going to go with the shimano stradic just for this rod since i will be using mostly during frostbite season. 

• 2 months later...

I have a Stradic FI 3000, I use 10lb power pro braid, I bottom bounce the Niagara,and Port Dalhousie in the winter for Browns & Steelies. I have the reel on a 10.5 Loomis FTSR 1062

thanks again. i bought this stradic fl3000 last night and will put i on my fenwick 9 ft 6 inch salmon/steelhead rod. will be out on ontario in 2 weeks.

Frost:

I have one season on 3 Pfluger presidents used casting for walleye. Zero problems, one holds 160' 10lb braid, & the other two hold 190' of 10lb braid (not sure of the sizes).  Great drags & easy to use.

John

Frost:

I have one season on 3 Pfluger presidents used casting for walleye. Zero problems, one holds 160' 10lb braid, & the other two hold 190' of 10lb braid (not sure of the sizes).  Great drags & easy to use.

John

bought a pfluger president for my wife for Christmas will let you know how we do with it. Im hoping the shimano stradic is more durable as I will be doing lots of casting in lakes and ponds and using it on the big rivers during cold weather. its drags are waterproof and the shimano stradic is salt water ready. 2 big pluses for me.

• 4 weeks later...

2 weeks since ice out and i have used my fenwick and shimano stradic every day spin casting for 3 or 4 hours a day. no problems the reel is smooth and the rod has great feel to it and handles even the lightest of lures. very happy with my decison to match the stradic with my fenwick. i even used it on lake ontario for casting for browns. no problems there either. the drag on the stradic is also super. i have now landed over 100 fish including mostly landlock salmon browns and bass. cant wait to see how it performs this coming winter in the rivers.