Record perch ?

ERABBIT

Record for ice fishing !!!!!

EAGLE, Idaho -- Last winter, 12-year-old Tia Wiese and her dad went ice fishing expecting to catch some big fish. The Wiese's had no idea just how big one of their catches would be.

On March 1, 2014, Tia and her dad, Gary, set up on Lake Cascade expecting to catch a yellow perch. Tia's line went screaming off and the fish got tangled in two other lines. With help from her dad, Tia was able to reel in the giant perch.

Gary weighed the fish on his personal scale and knew it was close to a state record. He rushed to Cascade to have her fish weighed on a certified scale where his suspicions were confirmed.

"I couldn't quit smiling," says Tia. "It was the biggest perch I've seen. I was kind of hoping it was a state record."

Tia's yellow perch weighed in at 2 pounds 11.68 ounces, making it the new state record holder.

After visiting the Fresh Water Fishing Hall of Fame in Wisconsin, Gary learned that the world record for yellow perch caught while ice fishing weighed in at 2 pounds 6 ounces out of Sheep Pond, Massachusetts.

He also discovered that there is a world record classification for ice fishing with a tip-up rod and saw that Tia's fish weighed five ounces more than the record holder.

Gary submitted the paperwork and it was recently confirmed that it was the largest yellow perch caught while ice fishing using a tip-up rod anywhere in the world.

When Tia learned that news, the smile that wouldn't go away last March came back.

"He told me over the phone," she says. "I was laughing so hard I was crying. It was funny."

Idaho Fish and Game in the late 1990's discovered that Lake Cascade's perch population had decreased dramatically. They then released thousands of yellow perch into the lake in attempts to recover the population.

15 years later, Lake Cascade has a strong population of yellow perch and in 2014, anglers were regularly catching them in the two pound range.

As many fishermen are aware if your hold the fish out from you when photographing with a digital camera the depth cues can be altered in that way making the fish appear larger and distortions in relationship to the background can occur as well (e.g. the fish appearing about 1/2 the size of the tent).

Edited by Sk8man

Held close to the camera.....photo shopped....2.5lbs.+.....state, world records......alien like fingers.....whatever! Still a nice jack perch! A few (3 or 4) would make a really nice dinner. And make smiles like Tia has on my face as well....!    :yes:    :happy2:

Why is it necessary to cut down a kids great fishing moment of a lifetime because of the way the damn picture was taken? 

I hope she gets the record, what a great moment for her family regardless of what "technique" was used to take the picture.  Congrats young lady.  I can only hope to have exciting moments like that with my twins when they are old enough to get after the perch!

Looks photoshopped. Look at the long alien-like finger under the belly of the perch. Hmmmm...

I'm with you. Where is the 2nd hand?  it isn't being held by the gill, its mouth would be open more and thumb would probably be in mouth to keep from dropping it.

It's a great story for sure, good for her that's an awesome catch. I was just pointing out that no doubt the picture that was posted has been altered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Deleting pic is total BS!!! That is a part of reward for the young lady. She had a great catch and should be allowed bragging rights. Anybody who's said pic was doctored need to come forward with solid proof otherwise or they should keep their mouths and fingers silent!!

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

No doubt it was a nice fish and great story. Definitely will be a great memory for her and her father.

The photo I saw on field and stream earlier in the week looked different than the one posted maybe it had something to do with the source it just looked different.

Sent from my thinking chair...

• 1 month later...