After loosing a good number of fish last season on fly bites, it's time to figure out the problem!! I truly believe it's due to the Trebles I tied my Flys with(not exactly sure what they are right now). That being said what is the best treble for tying flies that keep fish buttoned up?

I tie my own rigs, and make my own fly bodies and still use old school tactics. I tie 2 single octopus or beak hooks with the points facing opposite directions. I make sure the front hook is at the end of the fly body, and the trailing hook is always exposed behind the fly. I don't remember the last time I dropped a fish with this rig once hooked up,with many fish hooked only on the exposed trailing hook.

Many fishermen use the "tournament tie" which is a combo of single hook with a treble trailer. You can see how to tie this rig on the Fish Doctor Charter website.

My double / single rig with homemade flys

post-139500-0-56287400-1422292306_thumb.jpg

post-139500-0-52754600-1422292367_thumb.jpg

post-139500-0-20526800-1422292413_thumb.jpg

Do you do the tournament tie, with the large single in front? Much better percentage of staying buttoned up with that arrangement. 

I've been using a #2 Gami 2X treble for years and have had good luck with it, with a 5/0 Mustad 92553 Beak hook as the single in front.

At the Niagara Show this weekend Matthew from Torpedo Diver gave me some samples of the new trebles he's selling and they look really sweet.  I'm going to tie up a bunch of harnesses with those for this year and see how they work.  They are really, REALLY sharp when you touch them, I think they are going to be great hooks for fly harnesses.

Tim

FWIW I DO NOT like Owners. Yes they are sharp but they are also smaller with a narrower gap than others that are available. I've also found them easy to break.

The new hooks from Torpedo will definitely get some water time behind my boat this summer but I'm still VERY partial to the red Mustad trebles and singles that Siggs Rigs uses.

I tie all my own tandem leaders and simply prefer those hooks and lose very few diver fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

FWIW I DO NOT like Owners. Yes they are sharp but they are also smaller with a narrower gap than others that are available. I've also found them easy to break.

The new hooks from Torpedo will definitely get some water time behind my boat this summer but I'm still VERY partial to the red Mustad trebles and singles that Siggs Rigs uses.

I tie all my own tandem leaders and simply prefer those hooks and lose very few diver fish.

Sent from my iPhone using Lake Ontario United

Paul - thanks for this post (sorry to hijack). I've always wondered what brand the red trebles were and now I know! I also use the short shank ST-41's #2's for all my own harnesses, but I want to go back to the red trebles only to make it just a little easier for tying. I didn't realize the hook gap was smaller on these.

Thanks Paul!!

Chris

I also use the red trebles on my home made flies and lose very few fish on them (clinch knot wrapped 7 times, wet, and then cinched up very tight) .

Edited by Sk8man

Tourny tie #2 spark point 4x strong trebles with a 5/0 gama octopus.

I lost too many last year and heard the same thing from other guys. Don't sweat it. It was a weird year. I had no problems the previous year with same set up

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Most of us don't change all our spoon hooks to Owners.  Owner is a quality hook and I use them but I started using extra old spoon hooks on flys and actually saw an increase in land ratio esp.with a hook that had a longer shank and a kirbed down point.  Most of the hooks I speak of are the old Fishlander spoon hooks.   I think a shorter shank is more likely to cam back and forth and loosen.  Also keep In mind there was a lot of nipping going on with the fly bite last year with negative or neutral fish from the goofy lake conditions and numerous East winds.

I started to hate owners cause of bending/loss of fish.  but then i started using snubbers and I have not bent a hook since.  snubbers have actually increased our landing ratio.  never bent an owner on the rigger rods....

post-150314-0-09379300-1422401780_thumb.jpg

Edited by BrokeOff

Since Scott opened his big mouth I'll concur......VMC Spark Point 4x #2 is what we've been running for about 4 seasons. You WONT ever bend one out. 

Andy Bliss brought them on the boat at the Spring Tightlines to try out. That weekend we caught about 80 mean Canadian Salmon, and I don't remember losing more than a couple. I was very impressed.

That being said I know Tom Allen worked hard on developing his own hook for his flies just a couple years back. He's a tinkering fool, and I'm sure they are worth a try. I have a hard time leaving something once I build confidence in it, or else I'd be running them. 

Kinda like you don't leave fish to find fish

Since Scott opened his big mouth I'll concur......VMC Spark Point 4x #2 is what we've been running for about 4 seasons. You WONT ever bend one out. 

Andy Bliss brought them on the boat at the Spring Tightlines to try out. That weekend we caught about 80 mean Canadian Salmon, and I don't remember losing more than a couple. I was very impressed.

That being said I know Tom Allen worked hard on developing his own hook for his flies just a couple years back. He's a tinkering fool, and I'm sure they are worth a try.confidence in it, or else I'd be running them I have a hard time leaving something once I build . 

We got to field test the Mustad EWG trebles via Atommik Tom a few years ago and they operated flawlessly. They do not break or open up like some of the Owners. He now uses them on his manufactured flies. Hard to beat when used in a tournament tie. The only thing we do different when we tie our own is to not use a snell on the treble but a clinch knot instead.

Yup, clinch knot to the VMC Spark Point #2 treble at the rear, 2 beads, then snell on a 4/0 Octopus (I use the VMC 9299 tin red), another bead, and then the fly.  Sticks em good!

JAM

I use a Palomar knot on the treble hook & a snell knot on the beak hook. I clamp the hooks in a fly tying vise to make sure that they are cinched down tightly. 50lb FC line needs to be lubricated & cinched down tight.

Edited by Iceman

I use a Palomar knot on the treble hook & a snell knot on the beak hook. I clamp the hooks in a fly tying vise to make sure that they are cinched down tightly. 50lb FC line needs to be lubricated & cinched down tight.

I agree but how do you keep the distance between them constant? Maybe I'm just a rookie:rolleyes:

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app