Makes sense, I sometimes add a few beads too, guess I will look online to get an idea how to Snell backwards , "in my mind".. gonna have to practice that.

Thanks

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Edited by Nautitroller

It is fine on 50 lb mono with 7 wraps and I've never had a clinch knot break except on 2 lb line with a pickerel :lol:

Edited by Sk8man

We always snell both hooks. Use larger beads like a 8mm. 3 of those should fit between your treble and your single with little to no room for movement if you're tying them right. This does two things:

1) Doesn't give the Salmon room to chomp down on the line and crack you off.

2) Doesn't allow your line to end up in the bottom of your treble.

Like Scott mentioned above the bottom of your Octopus hook should sit half way across the eye of your treble.

I just bought a new GoPro last week. Maybe, if I remember tonight, I'll do a little video tutorial. But please no one show that Silver Coyote guy who keeps posting above!

Edited by Yankee Troller

You should have that pee wee Herman blow up doll that you live with hold the camera for you. At least he would be holding something diff from the norm, right?

Sent from my XT1080 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

Makes sense, I sometimes add a few beads too, guess I will look online to get an idea how to Snell backwards , "in my mind".. gonna have to practice that.

Thanks

Sent from my C771 using Lake Ontario United mobile app

On my tournament ties, the E-Chip goes between the treble & beak hook.

You should have that pee wee Herman blow up doll that you live with hold the camera for you. At least he would be holding something diff from the norm, right?

LOL! Your something else Scott!

After the convo we had in Quinte you might want to invest in one of them dolls! Bahahahahahahahaha

You poor thing! 

I tie my own rigs, and make my own fly bodies and still use old school tactics. I tie 2 single octopus or beak hooks with the points facing opposite directions. I make sure the front hook is at the end of the fly body, and the trailing hook is always exposed behind the fly. I don't remember the last time I dropped a fish with this rig once hooked up,with many fish hooked only on the exposed trailing hook.

Many fishermen use the "tournament tie" which is a combo of single hook with a treble trailer. You can see how to tie this rig on the Fish Doctor Charter website.

My double / single rig with homemade flys

attachicon.gifrig.JPG

attachicon.gifrig fly.JPG

attachicon.gifrig fly2.JPG

JD, in that first picture, I see you have the beads before the first hook. Aren't the beads supposed to be between the two hooks to get both hooks within the fly skirt?

I made the video guys, but I'm headed out to dinner with my blow up doll. When i get back from feeding that gold digger I'll get it up on YouTube. The fly video! Not the blow up doll video you sick bast*rds! Hahahahahahaha